Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Ahhh, That's Better!

In my last post I was mulling over whether or not I should continue to wake my kids at 6:00 on school days because they were interrupting my quiet time for reading my Bible and praying. Thanks to those of you who shared comments and encouragement with me!

I decided to tell them they needed to stay in their rooms quietly until 6:40, so I could have this much-needed time alone. Elizabeth's response to my decision was quite funny, though I was honestly trying not to laugh at the time. (She is almost eleven and her hormones are starting to surge. I know this is true because she cries at the tiniest thing these days.) So when I told the kids I wanted to have that window of time from 6:00 to 6:40 alone and quiet downstairs, Elizabeth got wide-eyed and started crying. She said she needs to come down and eat her breakfast because she is starving every morning and can't possibly wait until 6:40 to eat. (I have a thing about them not taking food up to their rooms. We've had ants, you know, I just don't want to go there again!) She acted as though the world would end if she couldn't do this early rising thing. But we were able to convince her since she doesn't eat that early on Saturday and Sunday, she probably won't wither away on any other day. She agreed to try.

So yesterday I came downstairs alone at 6:00 and sat down to pray. The words Thank You, Lord for this time alone and quiet with You had so much more meaning after the struggle I went through to acquire the time. They were just as rich this morning.
And I'm reminded of one of the ways God works in my life. He builds desires in me, moves in me to want something, allows me to struggle so that "thing" is just out of reach and I'm really hungering for it, and then He works things out and the "thing" I've been desiring (in this case, time alone with Him) is sweeter to me than it was, or would have been, without the struggle.
In the midst of the struggle I'm too often frustrated, thinking, "Woe is me!" When the time is right, He works it out and I see He was there all the time orchestrating life and using the trials according to His good purposes. Then I am able to thank Him for the hard times. I want to grow in my faith and be able to thank Him during the hard times, too.
I am a work in progress - aren't we all? - learning to trust Him more each day, learning to surrender my will to His, and filled with joy that He is so patient with me. Isn't He good???

No comments: