Friday, April 29, 2011

Lessons From the Edge

Hand motions aren't just for kids!

I've told you before about C. She's one of my (many) favorite residents at Edgewood. Well, recently I was in her apartment and noticed that she has quite a collection of CDs. But since she doesn't know how to use her CD player, she didn't even know she had them. So we sat down and started looking at her collection.
I got excited when I saw the Michael W. Smith Worship CD. Told C I have the same CD, and asked if I could come back some time to listen to it with her.
She said I could. *grin*
So the next day...
After her lunch, C and I went back to her apartment to listen to music. I helped her put in the Michael W. Smith CD and chose a couple of my favorite songs to share with her. C was enjoying the music, but she didn't know the words so she really couldn't sing along.
Then, Open the Eyes of my Heart came on.
We often sing this one in Sunday school, so I know hand motions to it. They're super easy and I decided it would be fun to teach them to C. As the music played, she followed my lead and we went through the song with hand motions.

Oh, I wish you could have seen the smile on her face.

It was beautiful.

Honestly? I don't even know how old C is. I'm guessing she's in her 80s. But as I sat there with her that day, enjoying the music and the goodness of God, I realized her age doesn't matter. She was having such a good time, it was clear to me - Hand motions aren't just for kids!

Karen

4 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Missing my Grandmother today. And even though she wasn't much for Music, she loved to worship. Thank you for this!

And you're right, the hand motions aren't just for kids! :o)

Karen Hossink said...

Jodi - I pray you're enjoying pleasant memories of your grandmother. And how wonderful to think - there will be a day when you get to worship right beside her, for all of eternity!

Leah Adams said...

How precious of you to take the time to visit with 'C' and teach her the words and motions to a wonderful song. Karen, you are an angel.

Leah

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Thanks. *blush*
I just want to be HIS instrument!