Friday, May 06, 2011

Lessons From the Edge

Rhythm really doesn't matter.

Have you ever danced with someone?
When you do, you realize quite quickly how important it is to have a sense of rhythm, and to be in step with your partner. When the two of you are 'together' it makes the dance beautiful. But when you aren't? Uh, not so much.
This week I learned, however, that in the grand scheme of things, rhythm really doesn't matter.

We had a musical duo come in Wednesday and lots of residents gathered around to listen. About half-way through the program they played a polka, and I immediately looked for M. She and I always dance a polka together.
Then I remembered - M just moved. Because she needed 24-hour care. And I sighed a sad sigh. But when I looked up again, I saw D (not the same D I've written of before...) sitting in front of me and I leaned over his shoulder and asked, "Do you want to dance?"
D was quick to get up and I tried to give him a really fast lesson on how to dance a polka. (As if I know! LOL) He was unsure of himself and our feet got tangled a couple of times.
We started to 'get it' when the song was nearly over, as we danced around counting, "1,2,3. 1,2,3." But I'm sure we were not a very pretty sight.
Even so, we were laughing and having a good time. At the end, D held my hand up high and I spun around under his arm. We both giggled some more and he declared, "That was fun!"

And it was.

We may not have looked good. Our steps were off. No need to sign us up for a dance competition.
But I know none of that is important. D enjoyed himself. And in the end...

Rhythm really doesn't matter.

Karen

3 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

AMEN!!! :o)

Wendy said...

So true! It's not the grace of the steps, but the willingness to dance. :)

Karen Hossink said...

Jodi - I'm glad you agree. :o)

Wendy - Yes, the willingness. Actually, there's another D at Edgewood who is very special to me. He's struggling with his health - weak and seems at times as though he's ready to give up trying. I'm thinking of telling him I'll dance with him next time, if he's strong enough. If he's willing to try, I'm more than happy to forget about graceful steps! :)