Friday, June 10, 2011

Lessons From the Edge

There's more than one way to look at a situation.

Do you ever encounter something which bothers you, or brings you down, and you just wish things were different? I had a conversation with one of Edgewood's residents this week, and I could tell she was feeling that way.
M was telling me about her aches and pains, sounding rather despondent. Finally she just sighed and said, "Well, I'm old."

It isn't unusual for M to have a sad outlook. Our conversations often sound like that.
I've prayed with her often and tried to lift her up. But the comment she made about being old seemed a little 'down-er' than normal.
Then I had a dose of inspiration and said, "You aren't old. You're experienced!" And we shared a laugh at my silly thought.

Sure, it may have been silly. But it got a smile and a laugh out of M, and that was what I was going for.

Sooooo, what's bothering you today? Cheer up. I bet there's a twist that can get you to smile. Because there's more than one way to look at a situation.

Karen

No comments: