Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Now i c

Several months ago I joked about the way I send text messages. It bothered me to think about re-writing our language with all the silly abbreviations used in texting. I wondered if we were going to have an entire generation who thinks "you're" and "your" are really spelled "ur", "be" is "b", and there is no need to utilize proper punctuation.

You know, because I'm practical and conservative like that.

Then my children gave me a lesson in texting etiquette and I began to gain a new perspective.
They explained to me what the numbers mean on the top of my screen.
I had no idea that when I have more than 160 characters in my message, more than one message has to be sent.
Receiving multiple messages can be confusing.
And annoying.

Oh, my. I suddenly realized I had been sending multiple messages which probably took three or four screens to complete. All because I wanted to use full words and proper punctuation. Who knew spaces and punctuation marks counted???

Anyhow, I don't like to be confusing. Or annoying.

So now I pay close attention to the numbers on the top of my screen. And I utilize ur and u and b and y and 2 and 4 and even skip some punctuation in order to keep it under 161.
C im not unreasnabl i just need 2 undrstnd
and now i c

Karen

4 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

I truly "LOL" while reading this!

I'm not one for change, but I had to get on this bandwagon too. :o)

Karen Hossink said...

Jodi - Last night Matthew said, "BRB I have to go to the bathroom." It's even creeping into our spoken language. *yikes!*

Edie said...

A lady I work with (the one with ADHD who kept forgetting to call you), her son had a school project where he had to re-write a scene from Romeo & Juliet in a different "language" that he chose from a list. Some of the options were Valley Girl, Jersey Shore, Rap, Texting, etc.

He chose texting which was very good for him because he has ADHD and is autistic so writing is not one of his strengths.

He got a very good grade on it. I also realized that texting "language" was actually beneficial to him (at least sometimes) because it took the pressure off of getting his writing perfect.

Karen Hossink said...

Edie - That is such a fun idea! What a good way for kids to really understand the story as they translate it to another 'language'.
My sons would totally get into that assignment!