Friday, March 21, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

It's important to look out for the new kid.

I'm telling you, I have the best job ever.

Because I get to witness the most beautiful acts of human kindness.

This week, it centered around a new woman.

E moved in over the weekend and - as many people do - she has had some trouble getting acclimated to her new home. She is often confused about where she needs to be, why she's at Edgewood, and what she's supposed to be doing.
So, she asks lots of questions.
And sometimes seems as though she can do nothing but complain.
But, do you think that behavior ruins the demeanor of the fine folks at Edgewood?
Oh, no, it doesn't!
Wednesday afternoon I walked past E as she sat in the atrium with three other ladies around her. They called me over to ask a question, which is when I discovered they were inviting E to come to Pizza Night. I heard them telling her how fun it is, and how much they would love for her to participate. These ladies were encouraging E, in spite of her sometimes harsh disposition. They were loving on her. I saw E smiling. And beginning to look comfortable.
And I thought, Look at these ladies. Each one of them remembers what it was like to be "new" here. Each of them understands the uncertainty, and the hint of fear associated with moving in. And they want to help E with the transition. They have been where she is, and they want to help her through.
I was so proud of them for expressing care, and reaching out to a woman in need.

How about you? Is there someone new in your sphere of influence? Someone who needs a little extra TLC?
Consider this your invitation to reach out to that individual.
Remember: It's important to look out for the new kid.

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Great reminder. I feel like often, in the body of Christ, we are not very good with new folks. We are not quite sure what to do with them. We are called to love them, even if it is inconvenient or uncomfortable. Blessings to you.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Even if. Yes!