Tuesday, August 11, 2015

We Are Family!

What do you get when Mom H. puts together a weekend for the family?























Lots of yummy salmon to grill.

A platter for your dorm room. You know. So you have something suitable on which to serve popcorn and cookies. *wink*


















And a glass garden ornament.

For the past several years, my mother-in-law has been treating the family (i.e. her entire family of sons, daughters-in-law, and grandchildren) to a vacation of some sort. And this year we had a family weekend in Holland. The guys got up (way!) before the break of dawn to go on a charter fishing trip on Lake Michigan. They fished for a few hours (and got tossed around on the waves) then got their fish cleaned and cooked and ate it for lunch. The fish that didn't get cooked were filleted and sent home with the fishermen. Looking forward to grilling up that salmon in the near future!
Meanwhile, the girls got to sleep in and have a leisurely morning before heading to a Craft Barn where we were able to pick a project to create. Elizabeth painted a platter which she'll take with her to college in just two weeks. And I made a garden ornament to put in my back yard. It's mostly pink and purple (Shocking, I know!) and says across the middle, "PRAY." (Another shocker.) All I did was glue down little pieces of glass all over a bigger piece of glass. It will be put in some sort of really hot oven and melt together, and I cannot wait to see the finished ornament.
After most of us napped (Josh decided to go fishing again. Go figure!) we went on a dinner cruise on Lake Michigan to end our family adventure.

Honestly? Getting ready for the weekend out of town was a lot of work for me. A month, or so, ago I was thinking I wouldn't even go - because I was repeatedly unsuccessful in finding someone to stay at my house with Grandma. Then my angel showed up (Thanks, Debbie!) and I was able to go. But there was still a lot of prep work to do and at one point on Friday, I didn't think I was going to be ready for the trip. I was ready to throw in the towel.
Yet, somehow it all came together and in spite of my state of near-exhaustion, bordering on high-end grumpiness, we made it out Friday night.

And can I tell you? I am so glad we did!

Time with family, making memories (and cute craft-y things!) is such a treasure. A high school friend of mine lost his wife unexpectedly last week. I'm attending her funeral Friday. And I know my friend and his four children would joyfully go through any amount of stress and busyness to get to spend an entire day with Anne again.
So I thank God for my mother-in-law and her generosity. I thank Him for the privilege of having Grandma in my home. Including all the extra "work" that involves. I thank Him for my family. And I pray HE will help me always keep a proper perspective on family, time, and interruptions opportunities.

Karen

No comments: