Thursday, June 21, 2018

Let Me at 'em!

I used to take my children to a cheap hair-cut place each month.
Then there came a time when the prospect of saving roughly $30 a month by doing the hair cuts myself motivated me to buy some trimmers and open Karen's Kids' Salon.
And I've been cutting my boys' hair ever since.
Yes, even now at 18 and 20!
In fact, just yesterday Josh asked, "Can you cut my hair tonight?" When Matthew got home from work he asked for a hair cut, too. And for about 15 minutes each, I was living a dream...
One-on-one time with each son, full freedom to run my fingers through their hair to reminisce when they were toddlers and liked me to play with their hair brush out tiny clippings, conversation about whatever, no rush to go somewhere or do something else, time to lay hands on their heads and pray God would fill them with all things lovely, pure, good, and praiseworthy.
Ah, yes. What a delightful time it was. My mother's heart is full.

Honestly, there was a time when I didn't have such fond feelings toward giving my boys a hair-cut. Probably because they didn't like getting them, didn't like sitting still or stopping whatever thing they were doing from which I had interrupted them. Indeed, there was a time when I might have considered letting them grow their hair long. *ahem*
But now?
Now - when time with my boys is so much more limited, when my mother's heart has grown and matured, when I realize the value of having my boys' undivided attention, when they ask me for a hair-cut - rather than wish I could take them to the barber, my heart jumps at the opportunity. Let me at'em!
Unless, of course, they ask after 10:00 at night. Because, hey, my salon? My hours!

Karen

No comments: