Thursday, June 14, 2018

Reason #7 that I love my son's job.

Josh: I got so annoyed at work yesterday!
Me: Oh, really? What happened.
Josh: Well, I was on boats (Meaning, he was working in the boat rental shed.) and I had to recite the rules to everyone who rented a boat. And, well, maybe I've done this to you before, but it was soooooo annoying!
Me: Go on.
Josh: OK. So, I have said the rules often enough that I don't have to read them. I can just look at the people and tell them the rules. So I can see them not paying attention to me, or even starting to walk away while I'm still talking - as if they're trying to get me to hurry.
Me: Wow. Sounds frustrating. (While I'm chukling inside.)
Josh: And then they say things as if I can't hear them, or as if I've never heard it before. Like, "Ha ha. We can just go to the other side of the island and get out of the boat there. They won't be able to see us!"
Me: They said that??? (While inside I'm thinking, Yeah, I remember you saying similar things when you thought I couldn't hear.)
Josh: Yes. Oh, and then sometimes when I looked out from the boat house I could see them standing up in the boat, jumping, and I wanted to ask, "What did you think I meant when I told you it was against Park rules to stand up in the boats? Or, maybe you didn't hear that part because you had already walked away from me???"
Me: (With a mixture of sympathy and vindication.) I completely understand how you felt. (While also thinking, That "What did you think I meant" phrase, you got that from me, didn't you!!!)

Yeah. I must admit, witnessing my son get annoyed by the same things which bothered me as his mother in years past has a certain level of What-goes-around-comes-around satisfaction. *wink*

Karen

No comments: