Friday, June 01, 2018

Does Prayer Even Matter?

NO CANCER! Yay God!
So said the text message I received yesterday from a friend for whom I have been praying.
And my heart and prayer echoed the sentiment. Thank You, JESUS! Thank You for hearing us and answering our cries for mercy!

We praise God for the ways He is [providing].
So reads the post on a Facebook page regrading a young boy for whom I am praying. And I am encouraged as I read the things HE has done for this family. Encouraged that God will continue to carry them, and do miraculous things as they continue this journey.

"I'm calling for my prayer! I feel great and I know God is taking care of me."
So says my friend who is calling me from the hospital, for whom I pray every time we speak on the phone. (I pray for her when we aren't on the phone, too!) And I just love her eagerness to pray together. I love that she is growing in dependence on HIM.

But then there are texts that say this:
All I can do now is cry!
Even though I've been praying.

And posts like this:
My dear husband lost his battle last night. He is with the LORD now.
Even though I was among thousands and thousands in Facebook-world who were praying.

And phone calls that don't come because there are no words to say.
Even though my prayers have continued.

It's so easy to have faith and be prayerful when we see God moving in the ways we had hoped He would move. Yet it can be so difficult to remain faithful and continue in prayer when we feel like our prayers aren't impacting change.
Sometimes I think - when I receive a "good report", Oh, I guess God had that all handled. Maybe I didn't need to pray after all. And other times I think - when things aren't going the way I had been praying they would, What's the point? If God isn't willing, what difference do my prayers make?
And in both scenarios I can be tempted to get off my knees and let the chips fall where they may.
I can be inclined toward spiritualized apathy - you know, God's will will prevail, so I'm just going to let Him be sovereign.
And that's the holy paradox, the beautiful mystery of prayer. God's will is going to prevail. He is sovereign. And at the same time, He calls us to pray. God invites us to petition His heart on behalf of our world, and He listens. Yes, He listens and He moves. In fact, He moves perfectly - even when I can't see or understand it.
It is for these reasons I will keep on praying.
For healing. For provision. For transfomation. For salvation. For protection. For wisdom. For guidance. For grace. For peace. For God's glory to be seen all over the earth!
Yes. Our prayers do matter.
Because God is good and He is listening.

Karen

2 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Oh so beautiful my friend... truth!!

Karen Hossink said...

Thanks, Beth.
I am so thankful for God's grace and patience and willingness to hear my heart!