Thursday, May 31, 2018

Things That Make You Say, "Hmmmm"

Yesterday Matthew and I were standing in the kitchen looking outside at a very cloudy sky when he asked, "Do you know if it's going to be cloudy all day?"
I had looked at the weather forecast previously, but information like that only stays in my head long enough for me to decide what I'm going to wear that day - so I had to tell Matthew I didn't know the answer to his question.
He kind of *hmphed* and said, "Well, I hope it gets sunny so I can mow the lawn." And I had to pause at that comment, because I didn't understand what the sun had to do with mowing the lawn.
Last I knew our lawn mower ran on gasoline.
I certainly wasn't aware of us buying a solar powered machine.
And I'm guessing my ponderings showed up on my face as confusion. Because after a moment of silence Matthew explained his need for sunshine. That is, he wanted to mow the lawn with his shirt off so as to even up the "farmer's tan" he's got going from all the days of pushing carts in the parking lot at work.
"Oooohhh, I get it," I said. "Ummmm, did you know you can still get tan through the clouds?"
Honestly, I am not sure Matthew wanted that little piece of information - or maybe he just didn't believe me. Either way, he got the lawn mowed. And a few hours later, the sun was shining.
Whether, or not, he evened up his tan in spite of the clouds remains to be seen. *wink*

So, there's that.

And then there's the interaction I had with Elizabeth on Tuesday which really had me saying, "Hmmmmm?"
She approached me and asked, "Is there anything going on between now and Sunday?"
Now, I don't know about you, but that question was just a bit too broad for me. I mean, c'mon. Of course there were things going on between that moment and Sunday. Like - I was going to go grocery shopping, there was laundry to do, I had an appointment to get my hair cut, a lady to visit, a talk to hone, and lots of other stuff. Plus, I was sure Brian and the boys each had stuff going on.
So I asked, "Can you be a little more specific?" And my girl - rather than jumping to her confused-mom's rescue like her brother did - smiled at me and said, "Uh, yeah. Is there anything going on Wednesday, or Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday?"
Ahhhh, she's a funny one, that girl is!

Karen

No comments: