Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Negotiator

So yesterday morning I was getting ready to do laundry and I checked in with Matthew to see if he had any. I knocked on his door, heard some sort of groan, and opened the door. He was still in bed, and his hamper was empty (But there were clothes all over the floor...) so I told him I was about to do laundry - and invited him to bring any clothes downstairs which he wanted to be washed.
I proceeded to sort the laundry and put a load in the washer and took care of a couple other tasks which needed completing. And moments later Matthew and I crossed paths in the kitchen. Our conversation went like this:
Matthew: I took my dirty clothes downstairs.
Me: OK. Did you sort them into the loads I had already made?
Matthew: Yep. I did that.
Me: Great. Thanks.
Matthew: You're welcome. Oh, that'll be $5.
Me: Blank stare.
Matthew: Five bucks. I charge five dollars for sorting my laundry.
Me: OK. Cool. I am charging $5 for washing your clothes today. So I guess we can call it even.
Matthew: Sorta shrugs his shoulders and leaves the scene.

Yep. Just call me the Negotiator.

Karen

No comments: