Thursday, July 12, 2018

This is Dedicated to the One I Love

So, I have a new elderly friend I'm visiting as a volunteer with Great Lakes Caring.
She's a sweet, sweet lady and I've been seeing her for a couple of months. I can't remember if she's 95 or 96. But I do remember that she loves Jesus, she used to be a seamstress, she loves crossword puzzles, and she and her family survived the concentration camps in Japan during World War II.
Dear One (That's what I'll call her.) is hard of hearing and her memory is fading, so our conversations are a bit limited. Often it's just me asking her questions which she can answer briefly, and telling her stories about my family. (And my garden. I keep her updated on my garden!) Regardless of how much she does or doesn't say though, I cherish my time with Dear One. She is a kind soul whose smile brightens the room, and I love that we always end our visits with prayer.

So I'll do whatever it takes to see her each week.

Including descend a valley, or climb a mountain.
What I mean is, Dear One lives in a facility about a mile and a half from my house and the road which connects us is presently under construction. So yesterday when I was riding my bike to visit her (Elizabeth needed to use the van...) and I came upon a Road Closed sign, well, I just road around it as I have done before - figuring I would also have to ride around some hills of dirt and such. Except, as I got further from the sign and closer to the action I realized I wasn't going to be riding around anything. Because there was a great big valley going straight across the road. (Think, "Going on a Bear Hunt"...Can't go over it, can't go under it. Can't go around it. Gotta go through it!)
Seeing no other option, I called out to the construction workers for permission to cross.
All I got back was that they could not give (nor deny) me permission to do so.
Sooooo, I carefully walked my bike down one incline - then picked it up and manuvered up the other side. Stepping in significant amounts of mud and dirt on the way. *ahem*
But I made it through without incident, or need of rescue. *grin*

And after enjoying my time with Dear One, I did it all over again.
Only this time, I had a certain song running through my head. *wink*



Karen

No comments: