Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Psalm 31 and Me (And You!)

14 But I trust in you, Lord;
I say, “You are my God.”
15 My times are in your hands;
deliver me from the hands of my enemies,
from those who pursue me.

Psalm 31:14-15
OK, I haven't done any background checking, so I do not know what was going on in David's life when he wrote Psalm 31. But one read through it and you'll know - things were not good for David at this point in time. Honestly, would you use words like anguish, sorrow, grief, distress, groaning, affliction, and contempt to describe your circumstances - if all was well with them?
I think not.
Happily, in that regard I cannot say I relate to this psalm. However, God's Truth goes far beyond identical circumstances into the minute details of each of our lives.
And because of His all-encompassing Truth, I can say I relate to this psalm.
Specifically, the verse quoted above.
What I mean is, I was coming into this week rather harried. I've so much to do, and I didn't see how I was going to be able to get it all done. Most of it is good, good stuff (Like getting ready to take a cruise with my husband next week!!!) but there was just so much. And in ways, my list of things to do did feel like an enemy which was pursuing me.
An enemy who would try to steal my joy.

But I trust in you, Lord;
I say, “You are my God.”
My times are in your hands;
deliver me from the hands of my enemies,
from those who pursue me.


And there, in the midst of it, my God - in whom I trust - swooped in and reminded me that my times are in His hands. HE reminded me to ask for help. HE reminded me to trust. HE reminded me that not everything on my list "had" to get done. (Anyone notice that I didn't post a video devotion yesterday? Yeah, that was HIM freeing me from "should" and giving me rest, instead.)
The thing is, I stopped my pursuit of getting-it-all-done long enough to acknowledge God might have a better idea. And I asked HIM to direct my steps, to order my path, to lead me, to help me.
And can I give a witness here?
HE DID IT!
OK, the week isn't over yet. There are still lots of things to do. But my God - in whom I trust - calmed my heart, delivered me from the enemy who was threatening to steal my joy, and is helping me navigate through the stuff. Indeed, my times are in His hands.
And I continue to see that when I surrender my times to Him? He works it all out.

What enemies are pursuing you today? God will help you if you ask Him!

Karen

No comments: