Friday, September 06, 2019

It's My Pleasure

You know those viral videos you've seen of some wonderful act performed by a person who was at the right place at the right time?
The ones which warm your heart and give you hope that there is some level of goodness in mankind?
Well, if only I was allowed to have my phone on my person when I'm working, I am certain I could have captured another one of those videos this week.
That is, on Monday I was working at the front counter when a young couple came to my register and handed me a phone. On its screen was a detailed list of the order they wanted to place. People often bring their order in written form when they're getting lunch for friends, or simply have a large order - so I didn't think anything of it. I just looked at the phone and started to enter the order into the register.
I had a question about one of the items, so I looked up and started to ask - but this couple immediately cut me off. Not saying anything, just shaking their heads and slightly waving their hands.
And I didn't understand what was the problem.
I really just had a simple question.
That's when my teammate who was at the register next to mine stepped in. She said, "Hey, I know ASL. I can help!" And then I realized the reason for the written order. This couple was deaf! They came prepared to place an order, not to answer my verbal questions. And with that, my teammate and I switched registers - I completing her guest's order, and she mine.
Though I did my best to give my full attention to my "new" guest, I could not help but also watch the scene transpiring next to me. This time the hands which were waving were communicating with one another. Questions were asked and answered, people were heard who couldn't hear, and value was given so much beyond a good meal.
When all was said and done, I hugged my teammate and said, "That was beautiful!"
And the next guest in line agreed.
"Yes," he said. "That was beautiful!"

Karen

No comments: