Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Wanna Play?

My daughter knows me so well.
We spent this past weekend with Elizabeth and Phil, Phil's mom, and Brian's mom. And Saturday afternoon as we were all sitting together Elizabeth said to me, "Hey, do you want to play a word game?" Then she gave her beautiful smile which said, I know you're going to say, "yes," because you simply can't resist a word game.
True, that.
I responded enthusiastially, "I'm in!"
Everyone else followed suit.
And with that, Elizabeth began explaining the rules.
One person thinks of a secret word and tells everyone the letter with which it begins.
Everyone else tries to think of what the word might be, and when they have a guess they say another word which gives a clue as to the word they are presently considering.
For example, let's say we're playing the game. I think of a word and announce that it starts with "H". You suspect that I might be thinking "horse" so you say, "pony" or "equine" or some other word which you think will get sombody else to think "horse," too.
When another player thinks they know what word you are considering they call out, "Gotcha!" Then you both count down, "3-2-1" and simultaneously call out the word you're both thinking about.
If the two players say the same word, the person who has chosen the secret word must supply the next letter. (If the guess-ers don't say the same word no new letter is revealed.) And the game continues with players thinking of possible words, giving clues, saying "Gotcha!", and counting down to the pronouncement of the guess.
HOWEVER, if the keeper-of-the-secret-word also thinks they know the word which is about to be guessed, they can prevent being required to give up the next letter. That is, when the two players are counting down and as they call out the word they're guessing, the keeper-of-the-secret-word may simultaneously call out, "It isn't ****!"
For example, in the scene above let's say you just said, "equine" and another player said, "Gotcha!"
I'm pretty sure you're both about to call out "horse", so I wait for you to say "3-2-1" then while the two of you are saying "horse", I call out "It isn't 'horse'!" And now I don't have to give you the next letter in my secret word.

When somebody figures out the correct word, gives a clue which gets somebody else to also think of the correct word, and counts down to call out said correct word, there is a winner and the winner gets to choose the next secret word. (Of course, if the keeper-of-the-secret-word realizes the players are about to call out the correct word he/she cannot call out, "It isn't ****!" because that would be a lie. And lying isn't nice.)
So, that's the game. It's my new favorite!
And the next time we're together with two or three other people, I'd love to play it with you! :)

Karen

No comments: