Friday, September 27, 2019

It's My Pleasure

If you're friends with me on Facebook you may have seen the post I shared last Friday when this scene occurred. (In which case, I apologize for the repeat.) But I couldn't wait to talk about it then, and it's too sweet not to write about in this week's edition of It's My Pleasure.
So, prepare to have your heart delighted by God's kindness.

One Saturday during last July I had precious interactions with a young boy who was having lunch at Chick-fil-A with his mother and brothers. (You may read the whole story here, if you wish.) And since that day I have thought of Connor many times, wondering if our paths might cross again sometime while I'm at work. Hoping they would. Realizing they may not.
But then there was last Friday.
I was stationed at the register closest to the entrance and was doing my best to make myself visable to the folks at the front of the line - all the way at the other end of the counter. That is to say, the entrance to my left and the front of the line to my right, I was not paying a lot of attention to my left side.
Until I heard a small voice coming from that direction saying, "Karen???"
And when I turned to see who was calling my name, there he was.
Recognizing my young friend I said, "Connor???" He smiled.
Then I loooked at the woman in front of me and asked, "Will you excuse me very quickly, please?" And I ran over to give that little guy a hug. It was a brief but very sweet reunion which allowed me to tell him I've been thinking about him and was so glad to see him again.
But then I had to get back to work.
I didn't see Connor and his family as they proceeded through the line. Didn't wait on them at my register, or notice when they passed by to go to the dining room. But before they left Connor came up to me so I could refresh his lemonade, and that gave me the opportunity to talk with him and his mother for a few moments. His mother told me that they know several people at their church who also work at Chick-fil-A, and she said Connor has gotten into the habit of asking them, "Do you know Karen?" Seems my little friend has been thinking about me, as I have been thinking about him. And it delighted my heart to consider how simple kindnesses shown to a young boy - over the course of maybe 20 minutes - could have such a significant impact.
Indeed, it inspired me to look for more opportunities to just be kind.

Oh, and when I returned to my register after first seeing Connor and giving him a hug? The guest who had allowed me to step away for that moment paid for her $8.89 meal with a $20 bill.
Which made her change $11.11.
And I knew at that moment - seeing Connor was a gift God had arranged for me. Can't keep the smile off my face even now, as I cherish the thought of HIS sweet kindnesses.

Karen

No comments: