Friday, August 16, 2013

Lessons From the Edge

Sparkles make everything better.

I found a craft online a few weeks ago which I decided to do with the residents at Edgewood. We took glass ivy bowls, poured some acrylic paint into them, and tipped the bowls to get the paint to coat the inside. And, to be quite honest, although the residents seemed delighted with their projects I wasn't so impressed.
Even less so when I made my own.
I had this great idea of how mine would turn out, but reality was much different. I looked at my ivy bowl coated with purple paint and just thought, Blah.

But in step two of our project, the sparkles saved the day.
We waited a week to make sure the paint was nice and dry, and then we added the final touch. I bought sparkly gem-type stickers from the craft store, laid them out all over the table and let the ladies get busy decorating the outside of their ivy bowls. I'm telling you, they looked fabulous! The sparkles made all the difference.
But there was still one problem.
For some of the ivy bowls.
Although the outside looked lovely, the inside showed clumpy paint and that made the whole thing kind of yucky. And that just wouldn't do. I didn't want the ladies to be disappointed with their projects.

Then, quite by accident, I discovered a solution.

I had put all the sparkly stickers into one of the bowls just to hold them, and decided that looked really pretty. I remembered one of my cabinets had a bag of silver tinsel-type filler in it, so I took some and put it inside my bowl. And - it looked great.

More sparkles to save the day!
I wish you could have heard the ladies oohing and aahing over their ivy bowls. In the end everyone loved what they'd made. Even those who at first doubted their ability to make a craft project. I'm telling you, sparkles make everything better.

Karen

3 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Oh sparkles definitely make everything better. What a neat craft idea!! I bet those girls were showing off their creations to everyone they saw. I want you to be the activities director when I go to live at an Edgewood-type place!!!

Kaira said...

Sparkles DO make everything better! I love being a girl :)

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - You're so sweet. BUT, I am not that much younger than you. Not sure I'll still be working when you need an Edgewood-type place. *wink*

Kaira - Yes. And pink and purple, too! Yay girls! :)