Tuesday, February 08, 2011

I May Not Be a Bible Scholar...

...but I'm pretty sure about this:

I believe I have learned something about the son Solomon was addressing when he wrote Proverbs.

In my read-thru-the-Bible-in-a-year journey, I am currently in the book of Proverbs. And each day as I read Solomon's pleas that his son would listen to instruction, seek wisdom, flee from immorality, and on and on - I find myself praying earnestly that my children would heed this advice, as well. I want to sit down with them and read Proverbs until I see they 'get it'.
I hear such passion as I read Solomon's words. The proverbs don't come just from common sense. He's speaking from his heart. Sounds like someone who has 'been there' and wants his son to benefit from what he, himself, has learned. As in, Son, I'm begging you. Listen to me. Learn from me. Seek wisdom! It is for your good, not simply to spoil your fun.

And because of the emphatic nature of Solomon's words, I have come to this conclusion about his son: Solomon's son must have been a teenager when these words were penned.

*wink*

Karen

4 comments:

km said...

Oh man...not looking forward to the teenage years.

Realized that one of my comments from last week didn't post. I'm totally with you on the version of the Bible. Once I've put it to memory...I don't want to learn it in another translation...but for study, I do enjoy multiple translations.

Karen Hossink said...

KM - Fear not. God will be with you!
And, honestly, when I see some of the antics my friends with younger kids are going through - I am so thankful I'm not there anymore. *wink*

Ah, yes. I do feel differently about varying translations when it comes to study!

TheUnSoccerMom said...

I started back my bible in a year. I'm in Numbers right now... I pray every night for the names to not get all jumbled up! :o)

I tell Christen I made all the mistakes so she wouldn't have to go through them. :o)

Ahh... teenagers... gotta love em'.

Karen Hossink said...

Jodi - Numbers is a hard one to get through. *wink*
Yes, I do gotta love 'em. And I'm prayin' real hard for 'em, too!