Friday, February 11, 2011

Lessons from the Edge

Nothing is random.

I've mentioned the Resident of the Week thing I'm doing at Edgewood before - that I interview and feature one resident each week. Well, this past week God showed me that even my silly ideas and 'chance' habits can be used by Him.
I came into work one day and was sad to learn one of our residents had passed away during the night. Later that morning her daughters came to the Activity Room to return some books they'd found in her apartment. I told them I was sorry to hear of their mother's death, and mentioned how much I enjoyed getting to know her a few weeks earlier when she was Resident of the Week.
They told me their mother had mentioned the Resident of the Week interview to them, and asked me more about it. So I showed them what I do - the write-up and picture I post on my bulletin board - and they asked if they could have a copy of their mother's interview to display at the funeral home.
It delighted my heart to share these items for B's memory, and I was glad to get them for her daughters. Only, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to retrieve. Because I don't necessarily save the write-ups. I have a few files on my disk and randomly type over them each week. But, wouldn't you know it - when I looked for B's story, I found it! Guess there was a reason I didn't 'randomly' type over hers.

When I gave B's story and picture to her daughters, I took a chance and told them of God's goodness in preserving the write-up. Found out they are believers, and they shared with me their confidence in B's salvation. We prayed together, and gave God glory.
Later that day I 'happened' to be talking with the aid who had found B that morning, and told her about my interaction with B's daughters. The aid then shared a beautiful story with me - which I was able to pass on to the daughters the next day. Because it 'happened' to be my Saturday to work, so I saw B's daughters as they were cleaning her apartment.

I marvel at all the 'random' occurrences which have surrounded B's transition to heaven, and I cannot help but praise and thank God for His attention to the details - and His involvement in every one of them.

Now, more than ever, I am convinced, Nothing is random.

Karen

8 comments:

Patawal said...

Thanks Karen. I am going through some things right now and it is a great reminder that Nothing is Random. I am not randomly in this situation. The Lord always has a plan.

Leah Adams said...

Oh yes, nothing, nothing happens to us by chance. God has a plan for every little minute of our lives. I'm so glad because I'd for sure mess it up if I was responsible for the world.

Leah

Karen Hossink said...

Pat - Yes. HE does!
Your first statement reminds me of a sermon Wally gave some time ago. He spoke of a woman who told her pastor, "I'm going through some really hard times right now," and he responded, "Praise God!" After some conversation the pastor explained since she was going 'through' the hard times, it was clear she wasn't staying in them - God was taking her THROUGH, and there would be an end to her troubles.
That story has (obviously!) stuck with me. Always an encouragement to think on when I'm going through stuff!

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Every little minute. My mind cannot begin to comprehend how BIG and how AMAZING our God is - that HE can perfectly orchestrate all of your minutes, and all of mine, and all of...
Praising God for His power and wisdom today!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about your comment to Leah..."how big and how amazing our God is"... This morning while reading Hebrews...it reminded of verse 4:13 "Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight; but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do."

Praising God right along with you!!

Have a wonderful weekend...
Debby Ann

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Wow. God is SO good and I'm so happy that He is in control. :o)

Patricia said...

Absolutely! I have always believed that there is a reason for everything...we may not "see it" or understand it, but He does in His infinite wisdom & love for us!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Karen Hossink said...

Debby Ann - It is good to praise Him together!
I pray your weekend is blessed.

Jodi - Oh, me, too!
Sometimes I tease Him as I look toward heaven and wink, saying, "Show Off!" But I am soooo glad He is in control of every.thing!

Patricia - And I love it when He gives us moments where we get to see. Little aha! moments which encourage my faith.