Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Proof that Jesus LIVES

If anyone ever asks me how I know FOR SURE that Jesus lives, I'm simply going to tell them, "Because I prayed for my husband."

See, he came home one evening and made a comment which seemed - well - a little rude to me. It wasn't THAT bad. It just seemed a little off.
And I began to feel defensive.
Which made another of his comments seem abrupt.
So I got a little more irritated.
I started making a list in my head of all the things I do for Brian, and picking him apart for not doing more things for me. I was pouting around the house - grabbing misplaced items and putting them away. I went downstairs and saw the ironing board. On it sat a pair of my husband's slacks, which needed to be ironed.
I let out a hefty sigh and walked over to them. I better iron these. He'll need them for work. Just one more thing for me to do for him.

Brian's slacks.

Part of the dress-code for his new job.

Suddenly it occured to me that I may be on the verge of understanding him.
Brian's new job is great. But there's a steep learning curve. He's been very stressed lately. And I realized a few things:
*Maybe the reason he seemed short to me lately is because his own fuse has been so short.
*Perhaps his level of sensitivity seemed so low because he has been focusing so much energy on finding his way in this new job.
*Maybe he came home and crashed every night because he has no energy left at the end of the day.
And I began praying for Brian - asking God to give him strength, and courage, and faith in what HE can do.

Just two minutes prior to that moment I had been feeling bitter toward my husband. But in an instant God spoke to my heart and transformed me into a praying wife.
Only the power of Jesus could make that kind of change.

I prayed for my husband, and THAT is proof that JESUS LIVES!

Karen

5 comments:

Leah Adams said...

it works...it really does. i've done the same type thing with my man and saw a difference...in him and in me.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - I love how God works through prayer. And sometimes I think the greatest need for a difference is in me.
Sometimes. *wink*

TheUnSoccerMom said...

I get frustrated w/ my hubby. A lot. I need to pray for him more.

thank you for this reminder!

and what GREAT God we have! :o)

Sarah said...

Karen, I adore you. More than that, I adore how you allow God's light to shine through the cracks in your humanity. As usual, you have shared something that is precisely what I needed to hear! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

Karen Hossink said...

Jodi - You're welcome.
It's a beautiful thing to see God change our own hearts as we pray for one another.

Sarah - And I am so thankful HE can do something amidst these cracks. I am broken, but HE is the Healer!
So glad God spoke to your heart through these words.