Friday, July 18, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

Just because something has always been done "this way" doesn't mean you always have to do it "that way".

Seriously.

I do not understand why some things take me so long to learn.

Check that.

What I really do not understand is why I cannot think of some things on my own.
As in, why do I make some things so complicated when the solution appears to other people rather quickly? It's like I'm stuck in this certain way of doing things, and I can't see out. Like I'm blind to the possibilities. Er, my eyes were giving me trouble a couple nights ago when I was trying to read small print. Maybe I really am going blind...
Ahhhh, I digress.

The truth is, I am super excited about a women's group we're going to begin next month at Edgewood. We're going to watch and discuss Forever in Love with Jesus, and I am simply delighted as I think about what a beautiful experience this is going to be. So much so, that I was contemplating going in on my day off to lead the study. Because Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings won't work; we have exercise class. And Tuesday is not a possibility; that's when we have our regular Bible study. So, the only other option I could conceive of was Thursday morning. I wasn't crazy about the idea, but I just couldn't see how we could make it happen any other way without ruining what already works.
So this week as Shelly and I were creating the August calendar I shared my dilemma with her, and she got this kind of Really? You think that's the only solution? look on her face. And I'm all, Yeah. We can't change anything. We've always done things the way we're doing them now.
And then Shelly said this really crazy, out-of-the-box thing. She said, "Why don't we schedule it Friday at 9am? And move exercise back to 10:30, instead of 10:00?" And I'm all, "That is such a good idea. You're brilliant!"
We talked more about the good things this time change will bring to our Friday routines. And I was so, so pleased with the solution Shelly had proposed. (Besides the fact that my Thursdays will remain "mine".)

Actually, it is a little embarrassing to admit that I was so stuck in the box. But now that I've been set free I am happy to share the good lesson with you. *smile*
Just because something has always been done "this way" doesn't mean you always have to do it "that way".

Are you stuck in any boxes today?

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

4 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Welcome to the "we've always done it that way" club. I am so guilty of that. There's hope, though! Glad it worked out for you!

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - I knew there was a reason I like you so much. Love finding out more of the things we have in common. ;)

Joanna said...

Learning that lesson lately too. Told myself forever that I can't make time to exercise. My family can't spare me. The kids will resent helping with little brother if I work out too often. Blah, blah, blah. Finally got myself to some classes and the sky did not fall. Nobody thought it was a big deal. (Except me!)

Karen Hossink said...

Joanna - Good for you!
By the way, did my conscience tell you to comment that way? I have been heaping up the excuses for not working out myself...And you may have just shot them down. *wink*