Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Enjoying My Time

So, I have a bit more time on my hands these days than I am used to having. And though it was a struggle at first...I am finding ways to fill it beautifully. I mean, there's still the regular laundry and dishes and house-stuff like that to do. But yesterday I did something I haven't done in, well, several years.

That is, I sat down and worked on a scrapbook.
*insert applause*

See, when my boys were babies I decided I was going to make a scrapbook for each of them. (Have a different project for Elizabeth.) One scrapbook for their first 18 years - which amounts to 2-3 pages per year. Didn't seem like too much to ask of myself at the time.
But, uh, yesterday? I completed Josh's 13th year.
He'll be 18 in January.
*ahem*
I told you it's been a while since I've worked on them!
Anyway, last week it dawned on me that since Josh will be graduating from high school in June, I really needed to kick it into gear to finish his scrapbook. So I searched for pictures, had them printed, and am eager to get working. So eager, in fact, that I might have done his 14th year as well - if I wasn't so busy looking at pictures and remembering days gone by.
Yes, I will admit: for every minute I spent putting that scrapbook together, I probably spent two or three reading and reminiscing. I think my boys' distract-ability "might" be genetic.

Now, where was I?

Right! Reminiscing.
I know on this blog I have bemoaned the struggles of having teenager, but I must tell you - spending time looking at those old pictures nearly made me forget the hard times. What a joy it is to look back at how my baby has grown up, to realize he is becoming a man, and to have hope for his future because of the gracious God we trust.
We've made it through some pretty rough days. And though there are sure to be more ahead of us, I know God will carry us through. Besides, if I ever get really down and discouraged, all I need to do is pull out pictures like these to fill my happy-tank again. *wink*

Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, so adorable, love the family pics! I totally understand being behind on the scrapbooking. I started Lily's first scrapbook about 5 years ago and it's still not done. Thankfully I did put baby photos for her in an album though. For my boy, Drake, I never did a baby album! So I am working on a baby photo book for him right now and I love getting lost in the creativity of putting it together. I also spend so much time looking at the pictures and memories and I am sure it's slowing me way down. I find myself smiling a lot with tears...happy and sad. Anyhow, Good Job on working on Josh's book, I bet it will be so worth all the time and effort when it's done!! I love these types of projects, really helps put perspective on what is really important in the hustle and bustle of our daily lives huh. ((HUGS)) Chera
Ps. Which reminds me I need to get moving on my project! Trying to get this baby album done before our next baby is born, so I don't fall super duper behind.

Karen Hossink said...

Chera - Yeah. I never did baby albums. That is, I started one for Elizabeth but quickly realized I wasn't going to be able to complete it. *looks down with shame*
*not really; nothing shameful about admitting your limitations*
So, anyway. Here's to getting your project done before the baby arrives! :)