Friday, September 30, 2016

Every.Little.Thing.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Philippians 4:6
Chances are you've heard that verse before.
Probably had it memorized at one time.
Maybe you still do!
But are you living it???

Because that, right there, is a pretty tall order!

I was drivig home from speaking for a MOPS group yesterday, thinking about my husband and some decisions we need to make. And I started praying.
Specifically, I was praying about deciding on accepting (or not) a tenant application for a rental house. And, for a moment, I thought, Maybe this isn't important enough to be bothering God.
As if on cue, the Holy Spirit brought Philippians 4:6 to mind. And I thought, Everything? How much is that? I mean, really. And I determined to look up the original Greek word when I got home. To justify not praying about the small stuff see exactly what God was saying through Paul when he wrote that epistle.
And guess what I learned?
HE meant for us to pray about everything!
The Greek word transliterated "pas" means all, the whole, every kind of, each "part of a totality". That definition doesn't allow much room for leaving anything out, does it?
Me thinks God wants us to pray about every.little.thing.
HE wants to be a part of every area of our lives.

So, as if that wasn't enough, I decided to take it one step further and find out what HE meant by telling us not to worry about anything.
I mean, did He intend to give us any wiggle-room?
Uh, I think not.
The Greek word mēdeís comes from mḗ, "not a possibility" and heís, "one".
Properly, it means "no one, nothing".
And literally, it means "not even one."

Yeah.
So, as I understand it, this verse is saying we are not to worry about even one thing. And the way we are to accomplish such a feat is to pray about every.little.thing.
Therefore, I will pray about selecting tenants, and choosing books to read, and accepting invitations to speak, and responding to disrespectful words, and everything over, beneath, and in-between.
Because if God is good, and able to do all things well (and I believe HE is) then seeking His heart in every move I make (whether large or small) is the only reasonable thing for me (us!) to do.
Amen?

Karen

No comments: