Friday, April 26, 2019

It's My Pleasure

I looked up from the cash register to greet the next guest, and I saw a very nervous young man who was leaning into the woman beside him.
He was saying over and over, "I can't do it!"
I heard her offering words of encouragement and reassurance - with a touch of exhortation - and, as I made eye contact with her, I stepped in from behind the counter to assist.
"You can do it," I said. "Come here. I'll help you."
Not sure if I saw a gentle push from his helper, or not, but that young man cautiously apporached me to place his lunch order. I asked him (as I do with everyone), "Will you be dining in with us today?"
He answered affirmatively, and I said,"Great! See? That was easy!"
He smiled.
I followed up with, "Now, what would you like to eat?"
And with that, we worked together to get his order. I talked him through selecting his meal, his drink, and making his payment. And he did it ALL without the help of his helper. He did it himself.
Later, he came back to the counter to order more fries (His helper was in the distance - farther away than she had been the first time.) and it was delightful to have the opportunity to interact with him again.
This young man, whose knees were knocking the first time we met.
Although I do not know the circumstance behind the struggle he faced in talking to a stranger in a restaurant to order lunch, I could tell mustering the courage to go through with it was a major accomplishment for this young man.
And the silent celebration I had with his helper as we made eye contact one more time was like icing on the cake. Truly, I can say It was my pleasure to serve him.

Karen

No comments: