Tuesday, April 30, 2019

My Sons are Making Me (Look Like I'm) Crazy

A few weeks ago I was startled when I went into our guest room and discovered that someone had been sleeping there. (The bed was "made" but not the way it had been when I last made it.) It appeared they had also taken a shower, as a towel was draped over the chair in the corner of the room. Honestly, I was a bit freaked out. It was obvious to me that someone had been in there, and I didn't know who, when, or why. My mind began to think irrational things about intruders, and somebody hiding out to get us.
Somehow, the situation didn't bother Brian as much.
He wasn't completely convinced the bed had been slept in. (I mean, seriously!!?? The pillows weren't in the right places, the pillow shams were to the side of the bed, and the decorative pillows were under them. Not to mention the comforter wasn't "square". How could he NOT see what I was seeing???) And I had already moved the towel, so that didn't impact his thoughts, either.
He kind of looked at me like I was a bit off my rocker.
Then last week happened.
We got home from our trip to see my parents on Monday, and on Tuesday I noticed the garage door opener was missing from the van. Elizabeth had used the van while we were gone and I wondered if she might have it for some reason, but I forgot all about it until I reached up to use it again on Wednesday. So I texted her to ask if she knew where it was - but she didn't. Hmmmm, that's odd, I thought, and I shared my conundrum with Brian.
Then Friday morning *poof!* the garage door opener mysteriously re-appeared right where it belongs in the van. And I told Brian about it Friday evening.
He just looked at me, with his eyebrows raised.
Then he asked, "Are you sure it wasn't there before?" And I responded with determination that I, indeed, was sure. I was NOT imagining the disappearance of that garage door opener!
Nonetheless, the look on his face said, OK, dear. If you say so. But in my heart of hearts I'm concerend about your mind. *kiss*

And now, I'll tell you the rest of the story!
Turns out a few Friday nights ago Josh's roommate invited friends over for a late-night gathering. Josh had to get up at 5:00 to go to work and, rather than putting a damper on his roommate's fun, he came over to our house at 11:30 (We were already sleeping.) and slept in the guest room. He got up at 5 and was showered and out the door by 5:30. Just forgot to leave a note or offer any other explanation about why the room looked "used". That is, until I asked him about it several days later - on the off chance that it might have been him. *ahem*
And the garage door opener?
That was Matthew.
Seems he decided to use it while we were in Florida visiting my parents and didn't remember to return it until Thursday night. Also didn't feel the need (or remember) to tell me he was the one in possession of the missing item, until I asked about it - on the off chance that it might have been him.

So there you have it.
Both of my sons doing unusual things which result in my husband thinking I'm losing my mind.
Granted, there was a time many years ago when I thought they were making me lose my mind, too.
But we're past that now.
And I'd like to think my sanity is secure. *wink*


Karen

No comments: