Wednesday, May 01, 2019

His Plans, Not Ours

So, I thought I was supposed to speak for a MOPS group in Taylor, Michigan this morning.
Like, I was really sure that's what I was supposed to do.
As in, it's been on my calendar since last September.
So I requested the day off of work. I made sure my schedule was clear of all other obligations. Got everything ready last night to head out the door bright and early this morning (Just kidding. It was "dark" and early!) and was fully prepared to share my heart with a group of beautiful moms who need encouragement. (And maybe a laugh, or two!)
As I drove, everything was going according to plan. Including heavy traffic and occassional stops along the highway. That's just the way it is in the morning on the way to Detroit. But I had planned extra time in anticipation of the traffic, and I arrived at the church with plenty of time to spare.

The odd thing was, there were only two cars in the parking lot.

And as I walked into the church I learned MOPS had been cancelled.
What???
Because Taylor schools are closed.
Double what???
It's May 1! I have never been concerned about a snow day in May before.
Ahhh, not a snow day. Seems it rained all night in Taylor last night and there is so much flooding around town that someone thought it best to cancel school.
Thus MOPS gets the axe for the day, too.
Which means I am not going to be speaking for these moms today.
Even though I thought that's what I was supposed to do.
Even though that's what I've been thinking since September.

The thing is, as I chatted with the MOPS coordinator (Who had texted me about the cancellation, by the way. But she sent the text after I had already left home, and I don't look at my phone while I'm driving! Actually, I play music and sing to warm up my voice while I'm driving - so I didn't even hear my phone, anyway.) I realized this change of plans wasn't a surprise to God, even though it was to us. When we scheduled this date last September, God knew about the rain which would be coming last night. He knew about the flooding. And He knew MOPS would be cancelled.
The best I can figure, we planned the wrong date and God is setting it right.
Maybe there is a young mother who needs to hear my story and the work God has done in the midst of my struggles with motherhood who couldn't make it today. Perhaps she is the one for whom I have been praying - who needs to be encouraged and needs to know there is hope even when times are really hard - but her kiddo is sick and she was going to miss today. Maybe she won't even be a part of this MOPS group until next year.
I don't know.
But I know God knows.
I know He is in control.
And I am trusting Him.

So, I guess I wasn't "supposed" to speak for this MOPS group in Taylor this morning, afterall.
We're going to re-schedule for the fall, and I'm asking God to lead us to the right date.

In what ways have you seen God change your plans so you do what you're "supposed" to do?

Karen

No comments: