Thursday, May 16, 2019

Refine Me, LORD

For you, O God, tested us,
You refined us like silver.

~Psalm 66:10
As I mentioned in my video Monday, I am well aware that virtually NOBODY likes to be tested.
Myself, included!
However, sometime back in 2004/2005 God used Psalm 66:10 to convince me that being tested by Him is, in fact, a very good thing. HE used this verse - and the image of a silversmith refining silver over a fire - to set me on a course of trusting Him, even when times are hard. God spoke to my spirit through Psalm 66:10, and brought hope to a woman who - most of the time - felt utterly hopeless.
And today I would like to spend time with you studying two other passages from scripture which speak to the hope we can have in the midst of hard times.

First, let's look at Romans 5.
3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope.

~Romans 5:3-4
These two verses are short, but there is so much good stuff packed into them! And I love this passage because it has me going from, What??? to, Ohhh! to, Ahhhh.
I mean, that first statement. What does Paul suggest we should do?
Does it strike you as strange that we would rejoice in our sufferings?
It is that concept which first had me asking, What???
But a bit of digging led me to better understanding. I think we all know what "hope" means - expectation of what is certain. But do you know what Paul was talking about when he mentioned "character"? Strong's Concordance defines the Greek word for "character" in this verse this way: the process or result of trial, proving, approval. A commentary I read years ago explained "character" as referring to "the quality of a person who has been tested - and has passed the test!"
And I - in the midst of intense mothering struggles - thought, Ohhhh! How I would like to have that quality! But, according to the text, from where does character come?
And what produces that perseverance?
Sooooo, if we're going to have the quality of being one who has passed the test, what is going to be necessary in our lives?
Thus we can say, Ahhhh. Yes. I will rejoice in suffering. Because in the end I will have proven character. I will have passed the test!

So, that's Paul.
James says a similar thing.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

~James 1:2-4
This passage, like the Romans verses, begins with a bit of a difficult statement. Because, do we really consider our trials with joy? Especially pure joy???
But, also like the Romans passage, we learn about perseverance.
What do these verses tell us about perseverance? What is its result?
You might be interested to know that "mature" as it is used in this verse refers to the completeness of Christian character. It is the end-goal of a spiritual journey.
And, "complete"? Get this!
It is "divinely-allotted wholeness".
It's like God saying, Yes! This is just the way I wanted it (her!) to be.

Do you see the hope in these verses?
Can you understand why the psalmist was rejoicing in the testing through which God took him?
Think about the allure of silver. The truth is, Christ-like character - God's desire for each of us - is infinitely more beautiful than silver. And that beauty is what God's testing aims to produce in us.
So I say, Yes! Refine me, LORD.
How about you?

Karen

No comments: