Tuesday, June 04, 2019

An Open Letter to Women's Clothing Manufacturers

Dear Manufacturers of Women's Clothing,

I've had it!
We've all had it!
For a while I thought it was just me - that I was the only woman on planet Earth who could not seem to find a pair of pants which actually fit.
Because, surely, you make pants for SOMEONE. Right?
Oh, how wrong I was!
I recently aired my frustration about pants-that-don't-fit on Facebook and felt my complaints vindicated when many friends - of all shapes and sizes - grumbled about the exact.same.problem.

Let me show you what I mean.

Do you see that huge gap in the back of my waist?
Otherwise, the pants fit quite nicely. Why did you need to make the waist so big?

And how about these pants?

Same problem. I could nearly fit my fist down the back of these pants, even though they fit snugly through the hips and thigh. Um, I don't need to put my fist down the back of my pants!

Next pair, please?


Different manufacturer, same problem.
What is it with you people?
Who do you know that is shaped like these pants? I mean if the legs were super big I could understand the size of the waist you put on the pants. But the legs aren't large. In fact this particular pair of pants were quite snug in the thigh. What person has legs the one size, and also has a waist the other size???

OK, one more.

Here we go again.
This pair was great everywhere - except for that one spot in the back. Where, again, I do not need to have the ability to insert my fist. Yet there it is - a gaping space, with nothing to do but look stupid whether your shirt is tucked or untucked.

So, manufaturers of women's clothing, do you see the problem here?
Because if you are not convinced by my experience I would be happy to put you in touch with the women who shared my woes in Facebook-land.
Still don't believe me? Check out all the tutorials for how to fix this problem!
(And that's just eleven of them. There are many more.)
We aren't shaped like the pants you make.
Therefore, I'm asking you - we're all asking you - to go back to the drawing board and re-think the measurements you've assigned to our waists.

Very sincerely, on behalf of the rest of the girls,

Karen

2 comments:

Kaira said...

Yes! It's why I'm wearing leggings again today, because I don't have a single pair of pants that doesn't gap like that in the back. It's SO frustrating!

Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - I wonder what would happen if the leggings people talked to the pants/jeans people about the way women are shaped. Hmmmmm!
*insert eye roll*