Friday, June 14, 2019

It's My Pleasure

Do you know what I really love at Chick-fil-A?
I mean, I love a lot of things at and about Chick-fil-A. But one of my favorite things is when young kids come through and I get to help them place their order.
(Moms and dads, my intent is not to ignore you. But I do love to speak directly to your children to ask them what they want - and let them feel a little "bigger" by placing the order, themselves. The sparkle in their eyes accompanying the "I did it!" satisfaction is priceless.)

So, yeah. I delight in opportunities to help little kids feel a bit "bigger".

More than that scenario, I love, LOVE it when parents let their children place an order AND pay for it. That is, I treasure seeing the kids take pride in doing a grown-up thing. And I think it is so important for kids to learn life skills which will lead them to independence.
(It's a little thing. However, I believe it can make a big difference.)
But even more than that scenario, when a child is paying with cash - and I get a sense from our interaction that I can press them just a little bit - I like to ask if they can figure out how much change I owe them. Sometimes it takes a short minute for them to do the math, but when a kid successfully figures it out and tells me the correct change they should be receiving - oh - the look of accomplishment and delight on their face. I just love it!
Because in a world where children are too often told they're in the way and they need to be quiet (Yes - this happens at Chick-fil-A, too, sometimes.) it's my pleasure to give them special attention and let them know they are seen and loved.
One order at a time.

Karen

No comments: