Friday, June 07, 2019

It's My Pleasure

And sometimes in the drive-thru you might have a brush with fame.
That is to say, Monday morning I was going through my usual routine. Passing out good food, chatting it up with guests, and doing my best to be sunshine in their day.
Then I encountered a man who had a day ahead of him unlike anyone else to whom I had spoken so far.
When I asked if he had anything fun planned for the day, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, I'm going to be on a 7-hour bus ride to Kentucky. I think I'll just sleep."
The look on my face must have said something like, Oh, wow! Why the long trip? Because he followed up by explaining, "I'm in the 'Hamilton' cast."
(Hamilton, the musical, just finished playing at the Wharton Center in East Lansing on Sunday night.)
I'm sure my face lit up at that point, and I asked, "Oh, really! What role do you play?"
The breakfast-seeker at the drive-thru window smiled humbly and said, "I'm Hamilton."
Then I'm all, "What? You're Hamilton? How cool is that!?" And we proceeded to have a conversation about show business and New York City and how he got started in it all. At one point I admitted to him that when I was in high school I had a dream of "making it" on Broadway, and I told him about traveling to New York with my high school choir and singing in Carnegie Hall. And how the City had so much energy and excitement that I didn't want to come home.
He smiled graciously and told me he understood. (Or maybe he was holding back his laughter at this old lady in the drive-thru who was trying to make a connection with the star in the car.)
Regardless, I thought it was so fun that the lead actor from Hamilton drove through Chick-fil-A Monday morning, before he left town with the rest of the cast on their way to the next gig.
And I got to serve him!

P.S. In case you're wondering, Hamilton drinks Power Aid for breakfast. *grin*

Karen

No comments: