Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Praying for our Nation

OK, the need to pray for the United States of America is not a new phenomenon.
I get that.
But in recent days, the Holy Spirit has been pressing me harder and harder with the urgency to pray.
I'm reading stories of terrible conditions for immigrant children, and seeing "the sides" arguing with each other over who is at fault for said conditions.
Headlines keep popping up around me regarding Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and her various encounters with Twitter, and an invitation to visit a concentration camp. I cannot help but notice how many people have it in for her, and want to see her brought down.
Not to mention the continuous stream of stories about abortion laws and law makers, LBGTQ battles, and attempts to discredit our president.
It seems every time I turn around somebody is fighting somebody else. Throwing out insults, belittling personhoods, denying compassion, and nearly ignoring the humanity of those whose ideas are "out of line". I see this behavior coming from both sides of the argument.
And it is breaking my heart.
I believe it also breaks the heart of God.
Because we're all here on earth fighting with each other - seeing other image-bearers as our ememies, forgetting the identity of our real adversary.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

~Ephesians 6:12
The Holy Spirit reminded me of this verse yesterday as I was praying for our nation - for these people and circumstances - and I am convinced HE was informing me in the way we are to pray.
Make no mistake, friends, the devil is our enemy. Rather than fighting one another, let us unite in prayer that we the people may be united under God through Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit for His glory.
Let us pray for a nation of unity and holiness.

Karen

No comments: