Tuesday, June 11, 2019

When the Dog Came to Visit

Last week our emptying nest was a little fuller.

That is, when Josh moved into his apartment in January he took Mindy with him.
And, honestly, I didn't realize what a significant part of our family the dog was - until she was gone.
I mean I have had to stop myself from saying, "Bye, Mindy. I'll be back soon!" when I walk out the door.
And sometimes I still expect to be met by her when I walk back in. (As annoying as it can be to have a dog in your face when you're bending over to take your shoes off, I have found I was actually missing her enthusiastic greetings.)
Not the dog hair, though. I have NOT missed the dog hair!

Anyway, Josh went out of the state last week on a fishing trip, and his roomie was also gone. So, Mindy stayed with us! And I'm here to say, things are sure different in her new home.
(Josh says she likes it better now he's in charge.)
For one, in her new home she's allowed on the couch.
We had to blockade our couch with the Swiffer to remind her what the rules are in these parts.
Second, in her new home there are no rooms which are "off limits" to Mindy.
We employed barriers to the basement and dining room to remind Mindy that she was only allowed on the wood floor.
Third, now that she lives on the second floor she gets taken for walks every time she needs to go potty.
The chain in the back yard was all she got during her stay with us.
(I mean, I did take her on a couple of walks. But I know it wasn't as spectacular as the treatment to which she has grown accustomed.)
And, fourth, she gets to sleep in Josh's bed at her new place.
Truth is, she got to sleep with him when she lived here, too. But she didn't get to sleep with US during her visit. And she whined quite a bit in protest.
However, for all her new-found freedom and the fun it is to live in the bachelor pad, I do believe I noticed one thing Mindy misses about living here.
That is, every time I started to make dinner that dog was right by my side. Just like I used to do, I tossed broccoli and cauliflower stems across the room for her to chase and eat when I was making salad. And - not that I dropped bits of food on purpose - but whenever I did drop something, Mindy was right there to clean it up for me. It was almost as if she was watching the clock, because Mindy seemed to know just when I was going to be in the kitchen making food.
And those were sweet moments the two of us shared there.
Yeah. I think Mindy misses my cooking.
Just sayin'.

Karen

No comments: