Friday, June 28, 2019

It's My Pleasure

Do you have any idea how much of a difference you can make, just by being nice?
Seems we don't give much thought to our words and actions. Most of the time we are focused our personal agenda, and we just do what we need to do to get it done.
Am I right?
But every now and then somebody gives us a glimpse into their heart, and we realize that there's a whole lot more to the situation than meets the eye.

That's what happened to me at the counter this week.

I was going about business as usual, chatting with guests as I took their orders and payment and got their drinks. But one particular woman was a little different, in that she seemed a bit more eager to talk about what was going on in her day. So I paused a few seconds longer to listen. (Honestly, I didn't consider my actions to be anything remarkable. I was being polite, and giving her the attention she wanted and deserved.) Not a big deal, right?
That's what I thought.
Until our interaction was ending and she looked at me and said, "Thanks. You've made my day better."
I what? How?
Just by listening???

And I realized the answer was, Yes. Just by listening.
That woman was hungry for more than good food. She needed somebody to pay attention to her, and God gave me the opportunity to be that person. And when she acknowledged how my act of noticing her made a difference in her day, I suddenly became aware that a little thing isn't necessarily a little thing.
What a pleasure it is to be an instrument of love!

May you find yourself with an opportunity to make a difference for someone who's hungry today.

Karen

No comments: