Friday, July 05, 2013

Lessons From the Edge

A mother's love never grows old.

Last Friday we were having a birthday party in the dining room. We'd gotten to the time for our sing-a-long and I was standing in the back of the room, uh, singing along.
As I glanced out into the atrium, I saw someone I didn't recognize and walked out to see if I could help him find someone. This man told me he was E's son (I could see the family resemblance!) and that he would wait until she was finished at the party. So I returned to my place in the dining room - which just happened to be right by E. (I love her, and choose to be next to her frequently. *grin*)

What happened next absolutely blessed my heart!

We finished one song and E looked up from her lyric page. She saw her son standing in the atrium and gasped, "My son! That's my son!" And the smile on her face was so big, it almost didn't fit.
He waved at her to indicate she could finish singing, and I stood by her enjoying the brightened light in her eyes.
When the party was over, I saw that 80-something-year-old woman move faster than I've ever seen her move before, as she glided to the atrium to hug her son. It was a beautiful sight. Absolutely beautiful.
And when I had cleaned up from the party I walked over to the two of them just to say,
"Thanks for giving me such a beautiful sight today."
At which time E said, "This is my son! I have eight great sons!"
I smiled at her and said, "I know!" And I do know. Because she has told me about them before.
And in that moment, looking at E beaming by the side of one of her eight great sons, I was fully convinced:
A mother's love never grows old.

Karen

4 comments:

kaira said...

*tears*

Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - Good ones, right? *smile*

Leah Adams said...

How precious! I can just imagine her face.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - And her face is precious! I just LOVE her. :)