Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Was I Like That?

My kids were all at summer camp last week.

And they had a great time!

I am always anxious to hear about their camp experience, and especially about the relationship they developed with their counselors.
While I know I - as their mother - play a key role in their spiritual growth, I am also fully aware of the benefit of having other people speak Truth and love into their lives. And that is one of the reasons I love camp so much. Because I know godly men and women will love on my kids in a way I - as their mother - cannot.
So I was absolutely delighted when Elizabeth told me how much she loved her counselor, Kristen. Elizabeth told me that Kristen was super pretty and had a beautiful singing voice, but the part where she really lit up was when she told me that Kristen really loves God. Really!
I was looking forward to meeting this counselor, but Elizabeth told me Kristen had left the day before camp ended. Kristen's brother got married this past weekend, and Kristen left early to attend the wedding. Elizabeth said, "It was so sad saying 'Good-bye' to her!" And I could tell my daughter had developed a strong affection for her counselor. I could tell Elizabeth was inspired by Kristen's love for God, and that she was encouraged by the love Kristen had obviously poured into her. And it warmed my heart.
Thanks, Kristen, for being the hands, feet, and heart of Jesus to my girl!

My thoughts went back to summers 21 and 22 years ago - when I was a counselor at the same camp my kids attend - and I wondered, Did my love for God and the girls in my cabin show so brightly that the girls beamed when they talked about me to their moms? Did I shine for Jesus when I was a camp counselor? Was I like that?

Just as quickly my thoughts came back to 2013, and I asked, Am I like that now?

Every day, with every interaction we have, we're given the opportunity to be the hands, feet, and heart of Jesus to other people. Let's shine for Him!

Karen

3 comments:

Beth Herring said...

I love the sweet heart on your girl!!

Karen Hossink said...

Beth - I love her heart, too!!!

Kaira said...

Elizabeth was so excited when talking to me about her too. That cabin she was in seemed to be fantastic. One day I was on the porch and a girl started chatting with me. She was one of Elizabeth's cabin mates and she realized I was Nick's mom. She was just as excited about your girl, telling me that she and Elizabeth had talked for 3 hours the night before and how much she loved her. <3