Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Just a Minute

So, the trouble I mentioned yesterday?
My heart was heavy because of it. The situation weighed on my mind.
It was the subject of nearly all my prayers.

And our God is faithful. Amen?
HE moved in me to simply share my heart with my son. To just tell him my thoughts and intentions. Honestly. Without rehearsing my wording, or trying to come up with catchy analogies.
It went something like this:
Me (entering room): Hey, can you take a break from your homework for a minute?
Son (guarded): Uh, why?
Me: I just want to talk with you.
Son (moving computer): OK.
Me (sitting on the bed): First, I want you to know I love you. Even when I do and say things you don't like; when I ask you to do things you don't want to do - I love you. Every decision I make for you is because I love you and I am trying to do what is best for you.
Son (Almost blank stare. Seems like he's listening, though I can't be totally sure.)
Me (trying to make connection) And I want you to know, I do understand you. I remember when I was 16, and I thought my parents didn't know anything. Like, really. They.didn't.know.any.thing.
Son (Kinda grins a little. Ahhhh, he's listening!)
Me: I am for you. Always, always for you. Never against you. I want to help you make good decisions and become the man God has created you to be. Please remember that. Even when you don't like - or don't understand - my reasons, please know that I love you and I am trying to do what is best for you. OK?
Son (relaxed): OK. (pause) I love you, too.

And that's all there was to it.
Quite simple, really.
But I felt like we made great strides with that conversation. There were no raised voices or hurt feelings (like so many of our interactions these days) and it felt as if my son actually listened to me.
Oh, I know we will still have conflicts in the future. But that one or two minutes sitting together, when I could be honest and open about my heart's desire for him was so good. So good. Like we were establishing a foundation for the years (and trials) to come. And I trust God will keep building on it.

Thank You, God, for your faithfulness in every moment. Even the hard ones.

Karen

4 comments:

Kaira said...

Awww, that makes me teary (no surprise there! So glad y'all had a good conversation! Or... so glad he was listening to you share your heart for him. He will remember that little one - sided conversation. <3

Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - Nope. No surprise there. ;)
I do pray he'll remember those words.

Sara K. said...

Awesome. God is good!

Karen Hossink said...

Sara - All the time!