Friday, November 07, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

As long as we're living, we need to keep living.

Yes, I know. That statement either sounds redundant, or nonsensical.

Stick with me.

This week I had the opportunity to talk with a woman at Edgewood who is facing death, but isn't dead yet. The thing is, she was feeling depressed because she viewed herself as sitting around waiting to die.
Not able to do much on her own.
Unable to stop her tears from falling.
Just kinda stuck in a depressed state.
I shared an experience and Bible verse with her which I hoped would be encouraging. I prayed for her. We talked and laughed a bit. We talked about her glorious future when she won't need her oxygen tank, when her legs will work properly, and when she'll have no more tears.
But we also recognized that she's still here. In her broken body. With tears running down her cheeks.
And we reaffirmed the reality that God is here, too.
HE is faithful.
HE is kind.
HE gives peace.
And because of who HE is, we can keep living. Even when the living is hard.

Honestly, I don't expect this dear woman is going to face the rest of her days without a tear or moment of sadness. Indeed, I will keep visiting with her and asking the Holy Spirit to encourage her through me. Because now that I know how much she's hurting, I can't bear the thought of her wasting the days away - waiting.
She has a beautiful spirit, and I pray God will move in her to share it until her very last breath.

As long as we're living, we need to keep living.

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

This post means so much to me, Karen. Yesterday we moved my Mother from Assisted Living into the local Nursing Home. Hard stuff, but I keep reminding myself that Jesus is with her wherever she is, and I ask Him to make His presence very real to her. Bless you!

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Yes. Jesus is with your mother. I pray, too, that HE will make His presence very real to her. And to you!