Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Mr. President, I Have a Question

Just to clarify: This post is NOT a political rant. At all.
I think some people have taken me more seriously than I intended.
It's just when I saw the phrase "residents who are not eligible...under the Affordable Care Act" and thought about the sweeping promises which were made, I couldn't resist pointing out the irony.
OK. Read on. *wink*

I'm sure you've noticed I don't get into political discussions on this blog. Politics is simply NOT what this space is about.
But today, I can't resist.
Honestly, I had not been paying much attention to the "issues" which would be on the ballot yesterday, so Monday night Brian and I sat down to familiarize ourselves with the proposals on which we would be voting Tuesday. And one of them read as follows:
This millage funds basic health care services to county residents who are not eligible for Medicaid under the federal Affordable Care Act, and for individuals who make less than $28,000 per year and don’t have medical insurance.
I read, and re-read, that statement a couple of times. Then I looked at my husband and said, "I thought the Affordable Care Act was supposed to provide insurance for everyone. Isn't that what the President promised?" I was being sarcastic.
"Yeah, that didn't really work out like he said it would."

Oh, those wonderful, lofty promises.
This website summarized the health care policy commitments. And the assurance which I recall hearing touted the most during a certain election campaign was this one:
Quality, Affordable and Portable Coverage for All
And if, somehow, this goal wasn't quite attainable, the following caveat was inserted:
Individuals and families who do not qualify for Medicaid or SCHIP but still need financial assistance will receive an income-related federal subsidy to buy into the new public plan or purchase a private health care plan.

Those words all sound so nice. So compassionate. So caring.
But, Mr. President, I have a question.

If your Affordable Care Act is supposed to deliver on everything you promised it would, why was the Health Services Millage Renewal proposal on my ballot Tuesday?

I'm just wondering...

Karen

2 comments:

Kaira said...

My $. 02
Because he's a lying liar who lies.
And though I think he is the absolute worst president of my lifetime, or ever, I recognize that they all either lie or renege on their promises on the regular.


Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - I would never want to be president. I have enough trouble trying to please all four people in my family and keep up with everything I've said I would do. Wouldn't want to attempt it with a whole country. *wink*