Tuesday, October 13, 2015

McHappy Mom

Sunday after church one of Matthew's friends was coming over. This friend moved a year or so ago and doesn't go to Matthew's school anymore, so it's been a while since he's been over. He's a nice kid, and I was glad for the chance to see him again.
In the past his mom has always dropped him off, and I was expecting the same Sunday. So when a truck pulled into our driveway, and T got out and came into the house - but the truck remained, I was a bit surprised.
But, whatever.
I greeted T and asked what he and Matthew had planned for the afternoon. He told me they were going to go out for lunch.
I paused.
And started putting the pieces together.
Me: Oh, you're 16 now, aren't you?
T: Yes.
Is he driving now? Is that why the truck is still here?
Me: So, you've got your driver's license, huh?
T: (smiling) Yes.
Oh. So, you're going to be driving Matthew today. But he's my baby. And I don't know if you drive well. Me: (trying not to appear concerned) That's great. How long have you had it?
T: Two months.
Panic may have flown across my face, because he went on to tell me he's been driving since he was 14. Always supervised, of course!
But, before I could object Matthew joined us in the family room and the boys were off to get some lunch. I almost had to post something on Facebook about my baby going out for the first time with his driving-friend. Another last-first.
But I refrained. *ahem*

And when they returned, my momma-heart swelled with joy.
Not just because of their safe return.
I mean, I was happy for that. To be sure!
But in addition, Matthew said something that just blessed my heart.
He told me he'd gotten a 10-piece Chicken McNugget for lunch. And as he ate it he realized, "I'm so glad I have my mom. I wouldn't want to eat this stuff every day."

Awww, bless my work-my-fingers-to-the-bone-to-make-healthy-meals-heart. He's grateful for my cooking!

Now that's what I should have posted on Facebook!

Karen

No comments: