Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Candy for breakfast?

My alarm went off, as usual, at 6:00 this morning. I'd been mostly awake since about 4:00, though. That's OK. It seems God wanted me to be praying. So I spent most of my waking moments in prayer about the women's conference coming up at my home church. Have I mentioned how excited I am that Kathy Troccoli is coming? And how much I hope the sanctuary is filled with women? That is my prayer.

Anyway, I rolled out of bed, donned my robe and slippers, and opened my bedroom door. Usually I look in on a sleeping Joshua and Matthew and give Joshua the option of getting up now or waiting until 6:40. (Sometimes he likes to get up early so he can play on the computer before he goes to school. Hey, whatever works!) This morning, though, when I looked into their room Joshua was already awake. He said, "Here, Mom. I got this for you last night," and he handed me a Reese's peanut butter cup which he'd taped to the side of his bed.
Joshua knows Reese's are my favorite kind of candy and yesterday when he was going over to the community center he told me he was going to get me one, but honestly, I'd forgotten. (I received a phone call from the coordinator of a MOPS group Monday evening, whose speaker for their Tuesday night meeting was nowhere to be found. I checked it out with Brian and determined I could fill in, so before Joshua arrived home with my treat I was on my way to speak.) So it really was a pleasant surprise for me this morning when he gave me the candy bar.

Besides giving me something sweet on which to feast, it also gave me something sweet on which to dwell. Whenever Joshua does something like this, I am reminded of his tender heart. In spite of the times he brings me to my knees in tears, Joshua really is a precious boy. He thinks about the feelings of others (OK, not always, but sometimes is better than never!) and he loves to make people happy. I don't fully understand Joshua, and sometimes loving him is a choice I make and takes serious effort. But I am thankful for moments like this morning when I get a glimpse of his tender heart and am reminded he's a precious boy.
Surely, I am not the only mother who struggles with loving her kids sometimes. I wonder, what are the things your kids do which remind you how precious they are, and which renew your love for them?

OK, now I need to go eat breakfast, because this candy bar sitting at my side is calling my name and I cannot (in good conscience) eat it before breakfast!

2 comments:

Karen Hossink said...

Oh, DeeDee! I laughed out loud when I read your comment. Keep visiting, and you're sure to read an account of Joshua when he sounds nothing like an angel. (Though the singing he was doing in the shower tonight DID border on angelic!)

Glass Half Full said...

What a thoughtful gesture -- no matter how unhealthy is was!! :)