Monday, April 09, 2007

I'm Not Scary

Many of you know that I love music. I play CDs or the radio as often as I can, and I love to sing along. Because my husband knows how much I like my CDs, a few years ago he bought a CD player that mounts under the kitchen cupboards. Now I can enjoy my favorite music whenever I'm in the kitchen. (Which is a lot of my time!)
This afternoon Matthew and his friend were going through the stack of CDs in the family room and found The Phantom of the Opera. By the look of the cover, the boys determined it must be a scary CD and they were excited to listen to it. As the organ music pounded during the introduction of the theme song, the boys squealed with delight. They ran around the room making scary noises and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves.
I was in the kitchen working on dinner and listening to my new Selah CD. As I sang along with one of my favorite songs, I was only mildly aware of the boys. That's one of the things I love about music - I can sometimes get to the point where it's almost like I'm standing alone in the presence of God, pouring out my heart to Him as I sing.
As my song ended, Matthew called out to me. He had his charming, I-hope-what-I'm-about-to-say-doesn't-hurt-your-feelings-look on his face. "Mom, I don't want to be mean or anything, but when you're singing those happy songs, it isn't very scary."
I tried not to laugh. He was so precious and so sincere, I didn't want to hurt his feelings by laughing at him. Instead I went back into the kitchen and sang quietly, chuckling to myself at the thought Matthew was concerned I'd be upset by him saying I'm not scary when I sing "happy songs." Oh, I'm sure there are times he'd call me scary (like when I'm PMSing) but I'm glad I'm not scary when I'm singing!

Karen

4 comments:

KarenW said...

I've always wanted one of those under the counter cd players. Now that we are in the states, it will probably be on my birthday list! Music is good for the soul.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'll tell you that Phantom of the Opera music can be scary! LOL! I remember one night around Halloween time coming home after dark and my mom had left hers playing and had run out to pick something up at the store and i walked in and the house was dark but the stereo was blasting the "creepy organ music". It was enough to scare me to the point of waiting on the porch for my mom and I was a teenager!!! LOL!! The boys picked a good cd for scary music! Too bad you had to mess with their jive by singing those "happy songs"! LOL!! Too cute!

Jen @ irrationallove said...

loved this...thanks!

Karen Hossink said...

Karen ~ Yes. Put it on your birthday list. I love mine!!!

Jen ~ Thanks. You literally made me laugh out loud!

irr ~You're welcome! :)