Saturday, April 12, 2008

Every One Was Fulfilled

If you've been reading here for awhile, you are probably aware I am in the midst of a read-thru-the-Bible-in-one-year program. (And loving it!!!)

So, the other day I didn't do my daily reading, which meant I had to double up the next day. Usually that wouldn't be so bad, but at this point in time it meant I was reading six chapters which were detailing how the promised land was being split up among the tribes of Israel.

And I do mean detailing.

As in: the names of the tribes and clans; the northern, eastern, southern, and western borders; the names of all the cities within those borders; and the numbers of towns (and their pasture lands!) given to each clan.

As I read, I couldn't help but wonder why it was necessary for all this detail to be recorded in the Word of God. Maybe it would be interesting to a geography buff, but I wondered, What does this have to do with me, Lord? I trust You have a good reason for everything contained in this Book, but I am just not getting it today.

Patience, dear one. You'll see.

It wasn't until the very last verse in that day's reading, but I surely did see.

Not one of all the Lord's good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one of them was fulfilled.
Joshua 21:45
Not one of the Lord's good promises failed! And if you have any doubts, just look back over chapters 13-21.
The Reubenites got their land east of the Jordan.
Hebron went to Caleb.
Judah's eastern boundary was the Salt Sea, and the western boundary was the coastline of the Great Sea.
Beth Anath and Beth Shemesh went to Naphtali.
Joshua got the town he asked for - Timnath Serah in the hill country of Ephraim.
And everyone gave up some space for the Levites, just as the Lord had commanded through Moses.
It was as if God were saying to me, I put all these details in here because I wanted you to see that not one of all My good promises failed; every one was fulfilled.

This revelation was so compelling to me, I felt like I was thinking about it all day long. I carried Joshua 21:45 in my pocket (In fact, I still am!) and kept repeating to myself, Not one of all the Lord's good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled.
I felt like God was telling me to pay attention to the details and to see how He is keeping His good promises. It occurred to me that taking time to wade through the details - though it can be mundane - allows me to see God at work.

And now I'll turn it over to you, my friend. Have you been getting tired of the details? Are you wishing God would hurry up and get to the good part? Take courage in knowing not one of the Lord's good promises will fail; every one will be fulfilled.

post signature

10 comments:

Rochelle said...

I needed this one tonight... I'm just glad that He's in the details. Great post.

luvmy4sons said...

Claiminng this one! Thanks!

Susan Skitt said...

Love it, love it, love it! So true! Thanks for sharing this!

I remember last year (I checked in my journal, it was Feb. 16, 2007 - I don't journal everything, just as the Lord leads), in a particularly difficult part of my Bible reading thinking similar thoughts. I just prayed, "Lord, help me here, because I'm really not getting it."

I was in Levitcus with all the laws about the land... then God showed me this in Lev. 25:17: "Therefore you shall not oppress one another, but you shall fear your God; for I am the Lord your God."

I was having a tough time with my youngest son and my attitude definately needed a "check in" from the Lord.

Then again in verse 46, the last part of the verse: "You shall not rule over one another with rigor."

My prayer was and still is, "Lord, help me to be firm, yet loving with my children."

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} said...

Yesterday, at church, I was having a really hard time. It was one of those Sundays that I just started crying during the songs and no real reason why.

I just couldn't focus. I had all these thoughts going through my head. At one point, I asked Matthew to go to the car and get my Bible.

As the pastor was giving his sermon, I'll admit, I wasn't listening. I was searching for something, anything, in my Bible that would just put me at peace.

I had read this post Friday, or saturday, one of the two and as I was flipping through my Bible I noticed writing on the page... and I freaked, thinking that one of the kids had been in there. I'm funny about my Bible. I may highlight something but NEVER write in it.

As I looked closer, I noticed that it was my handwriting and it was right next to a verse that was highlighted.

My words? "All of His promises will be fullfilled, Heather. Just be patient." Apparently, when I read that in the past few months (it was in March) I needed to hear that. It's such an amazing thought, isn't it?

Jenny said...

I needed to be reminded of this again, too. Details, details, details. Why is we love to share them with others, but want God to cut to the chase?? Thanks for that meaningful verse!

Stacey said...

God is so good to give you this insight. Thanks for sharing it because I have never thought of it this way!

She Rose Up said...

He is such a wonderful, wonderful God and Father! So good, so good! And yes, I have wobbled and grown weary a bit here and there in the last 7-8 months..but, I am also continuely renewed and strengthened, as He is so faithful to meet us whereever we are when we call His Name!

xoxo,
maria

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Very. Much. I will continue to cling.

Unknown said...

Great post...when you asked the question, "Are you wishing God would hurry up and get to the good part?" I can't tell you how much I've been hung up on that very issue lately. I am so ready for the promised victory. I know what is promised, I just don't want to wait anymore. Cynthia Heald told me, "If you don't want to wait, what are your options?" Funny as that is, I'm still frustrated in the waiting. Come, Lord Jesus, come!

happyhome said...

Oh, I love that promise!

Saw your picture over at Sue's blog. Actually as soon as I saw it I thought, "That looks like Karen!" How fun that you guys got to meet. How's that trip to Dallas shaping up?

Hugs and prayers!