Sunday, April 20, 2008

Where Are You Looking?

I recently told you about a talk I am giving for a Mother's Day Luncheon next month. The point I shared was about brokenness, and how Jesus uses brokenness to make us enough. As I was spending time refining the talk this weekend, I decided I wanted to share another point with you.

Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves.
Mark 6:41a
I wonder how many times I have heard or read this account and missed what Jesus did between the taking and the breaking. Did you see where He looked?
Jesus looked to heaven - to His Father.
Oh, He has so much to teach me! I don't know about you, but when I am in the middle of an impossible situation (And wouldn't you agree feeding 5,000+ people with only five loaves of bread and two fish seems like an impossible situation?) my first reaction is to look at the circumstances and become overwhelmed. I look around at everything that needs to be done. I consider the greatness of the task and the smallness of me. The more I look at the situation, the more I get overwhelmed, and the less I think I'm going to make it through.
What if Jesus had looked around? What if He had focused on the thousands of people and the inadequate amount of food to satisfy them? What if He had agreed with His disciples that the situation was impossible, and sent them all away to get their own food?
But He didn't.
Jesus looked up.
Rather than dwelling on the situation, Jesus looked to His Father and gave thanks. He knew His Father. He knew God had the power to feed the people. And Jesus knew He just needed to look to Him.

It has taken me awhile, but I am learning to look up more often than around. I'm learning to focus my attention on my Father - Who can handle my situation, rather than on my situation - which can only frustrate me.
Psalm 91:1 says, He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Yes, I am learning to dwell with Him and, truly, there is rest.

I know there are many who are facing impossible situations today. If you are one of those, may I ask you where you are looking?
Please follow Jesus' example and look up. Your Heavenly Father loves you and He can handle your impossible situation.

post signature

13 comments:

Sheila said...

I just walked in here to comment on this post (the bees haven't come back B.T.W.) and reading your header, "Bringing hope to overwhelmed moms," just touched me! Thank God for you and other moms who share their lives and struggles and point other moms to the One they depend on- Jesus!

The one area in my life where I feel like I face the impossible is mothering. I'm in the school of becoming a mom and God's using my two sons to teach me. I often am looking up to the heaven's and saying, "I need YOU oh I need You, every hour I need YOU!" Being a mom keeps me totally dependent upon the Father's supernatural strength and supply to be enough.

Sometimes when I drive by a homeless soul my heart goes out and I say, "Lord, I wish I could touch that person and speak the words and they would be instantly and forever freed from the bonds that keep them on the streets." And then I look in the rear veiw mirror and see my two sons and hear, "I'm training you to do that right now!"

I need HIM to train these two souls He's entrusted to my care! Without Him what I have is not enough to feed their souls.

Bless you!
Sheila

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Karen, I had never looked at this verse that way before. How insightful. I am very blessed by your site. Brokenness is actually so beautiful if one steps back and views the whole picture of us being held in His arms.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear this in person! Looking forward to Mother's Day!
Renee

luvmy4sons said...

Awesome point. And a lesson I learn and relearn all the time! what I also thought of was why did He break the bread? He could have multiplied it without breaking it. Sometimes God must break us as well to bring about blessings....

Jodi said...

I too, haven't looked at it this way. Thanks for this insight!

Anonymous said...

Karen, you are awesome!! Keep looking up my friend:)
Blessings,
Deb

Unknown said...

Always my problem....where I'm looking. We all need to fix our eyes on Him!
I love:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face.
And the things of earth
Will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.

Unknown said...

Great post - thanks for sharing. I will share this with my Mums School Prayer Group when we next meet. Thanks.

Mary Beth said...

I just love your insight into this passage and how you relate it us in such a practical way. I have thought about the first blog you posted on this passage so much in the last few weeks.

It has really touched my heart.

Have fun in FL on Mother's Day. I get to be in Brooklyn.... MICHIGAN.

Rochelle said...

Excellent point. What a great reminder where our focus needs to be.

Susan Skitt said...

Up is always best :)

Take care and I will be praying for your talk with the women that the Lord will work in hearts to draw them to Himself.

Much love,
Your sister in Christ,
Susan

Stacey said...

Great reminder! No matter how many times I am reminded of this, I need to hear it more.

Anonymous said...

oh what a wonderful post. Be broken and look up. Wow.