Friday, June 25, 2010

Pharmacy Notes

Monday could have been remembered as a really bad night at work. *Our communication with insurances went down so everything was taking longer. And most customers weren't happy about that problem. *There was the man whose daughter's doctor (apparently) called prescriptions into two different pharmacies, whose wife tried to (angrily) solve the problem with one of the pharmacies, which resulted in him driving all around town looking for said prescriptions, while his little girl sat at home with a fever - waiting for her medicine. (His rendition of this story was not as calm or kind as mine. LOL!) *Let's not forget the pregnant woman who let me know how angry she was because we were out of the pre-natal vitamin she needed. I didn't bother to ask why she waited until she was out of vitamins to come get her prescription refilled. (Oh! Did I really just say that out loud? *grin* I mean, I understand 'pregnancy brain' but when did that involve being unkind to me???) *And, there's also the point that we were too busy for me to take my break. Not necessarily a big deal, but in the midst of it all - 15 minutes to sit down and have a snack would have been nice. However, as the closing hour was getting near and a customer's amount due came to $11.11, I smiled and thanked God for carrying me through the difficult evening. But it wasn't until after 9:00 when I was closing the window that I understood God wasn't just saying, I carried you. He was also saying, I Am not finished yet. Just as I was about to get the window closed (It had given me some trouble closing. Guess Who was behind that???) a woman came around the corner, asking if we were still open. I apologized and said we were closed. And my co-worker gave her two options for 24-hour pharmacies, which - unfortunately - weren't very near to us. This woman looked quite frazzled and the pharmacist told me to ask what she needed. I asked, and the pharmacist said she would get it ready for her. When I came back to the counter, I saw tears in the woman's eyes and I went to get her a tissue. Upon returning, I asked if she was OK and that's when she let out her stress and the fears which had been piling up the past two days. She told me about her son's accident and hospitalization, about her responsibility to watch over him now that he's home, and her fear that she wasn't going to notice if something goes wrong. As I listened to her, I was so glad the pharmacy was 'closed'. There was no one else there who needed my attention - no customers waiting in line - no one. I was able to give this dear mother my full attention, and I was so thankful. She thanked me for my kindness, and I told her that everything about me comes from my faith in God. And I asked if I could pray for her. That's when she told me her faith is also in God. So we approached Him together - there in the pharmacy. We said, "Amen," I gave Karen her son's prescription, and promised to continue praying for them. And I am. I will likely never see Karen again, here on earth. But I know God has His eyes on her and I am so thankful for the opportunity to be a brief part of her life. God is good!

Karen

13 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Oh wow!! How awesome that God sent that woman to you. You were such a blessing to her I'm sure and I know she was a blessing to you as well.

I have those kinds of days more than not, so I can empathize. The ONLY way I get through those days is my faith in God. Without Him, I would be just as lost as the people that have cussed me out, threatened me, etc., etc.

I hope the rest of your week has gone much better!!

(((HUGS)))

ps. Christen will be having her ultrasound in about 30min. My Mom is there w/ her. :o)

On Purpose said...

Way to be in the moment with God and Karen! You are a beautiful daughter of our God!

Patricia said...

WOW!! What a blessing for you & that woman!! I will pray for her too!

And by the way...yes, I watched the video...LOVED IT!!! What a necessary message! Thanks for the link!

Have a great weekend!
Patricia

luvmy4sons said...

I just love your 11.11 from God. What a blessing you were to this woman. I think anyone who works ha had those kind of days where it is crazy and no time to take a break and lots of things not going well. What a light for Christ you are! Hug! Great big hug!

BusyB said...

that just put a huge SMILE on my face : ) Glad you got to share the word of God. everytime I see God in action all i can say is AMAZING i love how he uses us : )
(sorry you had long night... those stink!!! not sure why prego waited until last minute lol!)

Karen Hossink said...

Jodi - Yes. The blessing was most certainly mutual.
Glad your mom was there with Christen. Look forward to hearing how things turned out.

Nichole - Thank you.

Patricia - Glad you watched the sermon. Marvin just came on staff at my church a few months ago. I'm so glad he's here!

Leslie - That 1111 has shown up in some of the most wonderful ways recently. I love how He uses it to remind me of His presence and power.

BusyB - It made me smile HUGE, too. Was just reading in the psalms this morning about His wonderful works. Yes - I will tell of them as long as I live!

km said...

What a blessing! To you and to her...and to all of us reading!

Leah Adams said...

You were at that pharmacy at that hour for such a time as that. I know God was smiling on you as you ministered to that woman.

Congrats on the radio spot!!

Leah

Karen Hossink said...

KM - Indeed!

Leah - I could see His perfect timing so clearly. It was obvious to me that God set the whole thing up.

Sara K. said...

Wow - your experience being able to pray with that woman must have made the whole 'bad day' worth it! I love God's divine appointments!!

gianna said...

I love hearing about how God is using you in the Pharmacy.
This is what I repeat to myself when I would get yelled at the clinic, "Lack of planning on your part does not cause an emergency on mine!" But only to myself. Not exactly the thing to say to someone who is frazzled, frustrated and scared!

Karen Hossink said...

Sara - Totally! That opportunity to pray was the best!

Gianna - I repeat that statement to myself quite frequently with my kiddos. *grin*

BASSakward Tales said...

God put you at the right place at the right time...He is always on time...you are a blessing to so many people....sorry I have not been more bloggerish lately....got some health stuff going on and some teenage hormonal stuff....thank you for your inspirations....