Thursday, January 26, 2012

Oh, Rats!

My girl has lots of loves. Lots of things which consume her time and attention. But lately there are two which have been especially prevalent.

Photography, and her rats.

Did you know she has pet rats? Three at the last count. Don't worry, they're caged. And they stay in the basement (most of the time) so it's safe to come over. *wink*

The other day Elizabeth brought the two newest rats upstairs, and got the camera out for a photo shoot. She gave the girls to me and got busy snapping pictures. Yep, that's me holding the rats.
OK, be honest, when you aren't seeing the tail, they really are cute critters, aren't they?

After a while I had to do other things, so Elizabeth let Star and Snickers roam around the kitchen and she took more pictures.
The dishwasher peeked Snickers' curiosity.
Star was ready to be done 'swimming'.
I know some of you probably think I'm crazy, (I did make sure Elizabeth cleaned the counter tops when the rats went back to their cage!) but it really is a delight to see how much joy my kids get from their critters. Not to mention, it's always fun to see the reactions people have when they find out we have pet rats in our house. *wink*

Karen

9 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Oh my!

My nephew had a tarantula for a pet once. Can. Not. Imagine.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - I do NOT think I could "do" a tarantula. Soomehow they fit more into the category of "creepy" than "critter". *wink*

Jodi@ underthegeorgiasun.com said...

you are WAY more tolerant than I am!! :o)

I don't mind mice, but rats?? oh no... ;o)

Patricia said...

I'm still trying to get used to the idea that we will be "baby-sitiing" Kiara's class guinea pig in Feb.!! lol!!!

You are a braver/more tolerant mom than I am, that's for sure! But I have to agree...not seeing the tail does make all the difference! ;)

Karen Hossink said...

Jodi - We started with pet mice, then Elizabeth wanted a rat. My first response was, NO WAY! But I softened up, and can honestly say I think the rats are fun.

Patricia - It starts with babysitting, and grows from there. Watch out! LOL
Guinea pigs don't have tails, do they? You'll be fine! *wink*

SC Mom said...

aww they are cute. (I agree, not being able to see the tail helps ;-). We had field mice in our house a couple months ago...they were cute but I like them outside better lol.

histruthendures said...

You must be a really cool mom to endure rats!!!! hehe!!!

On Purpose said...

You are a brave momma...sorry I haven't gotten to that stage yet :)

Karen Hossink said...

Betty-Jo - When it comes to "wild" critters, I always say they have to start paying rent if they want to live inside. *wink*

Angela - Will you tell that to my 14-year-old son? He is not thinking I'm very cool these days. *sigh*

Nichole - Your time will come. Mark my words. LOL