Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Difference Between Toddlers and Teens *Addendum*

Several months ago I had fun writing this post about some of the differences I have seen between how my kids used to be, and how they are today. And this past weekend, I encountered a difference which I hadn't included on my original list.
So, for those of you who may benefit from knowing this one ahead of time, here it is:

Toddlers will proclaim in a loud voice that they "don't love you anymore," when you've done something they particularly do not like. However, those words won't stick with you for long - because you know they aren't true. It will just be a matter of moments until that toddler is at your side, holding your hand, and exchanging I love yous with you again.

Teens will proclaim in a loud voice that you "don't even care how they feel," when you've done something they particularly do not like. Those words will make your heart sink - because you know they aren't true. And you're wondering if your teen will believe you when you say, "I love you," and tell him that you do care.

Yeah.
So that was a piece of my weekend.
I'm telling you, parenting is not for wimps!
LORD, please give each one of us the grace and love we need to raise these children. Oh, we need you in every moment of every day. We cannot do this parenting thing on our own. Please fill us and lead us with Your wisdom and mercy.

Karen

2 comments:

Heidi Pankiewicz said...

Again, marvelous, Karen! I loved your past post on toddlers vs. teens also! Just talked about asking for God's wisdom in parenting today at Bible Study! We can't do it on our own!

Karen Hossink said...

Heidi - If any of you lacks wisdom you should ask God, who gives freely to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5 Been clinging to this one for a while. And will keep at it for the rest of my days. ;)
So glad to be on this journey with you. And thanks for the kind words.