Friday, May 06, 2016

TLC at GLC

So, there is this woman at GLC who is not a very friendly - or even likable - gal.

In fact, I think the first words she ever spoke to me were, "Don't touch me."

I have learned to tread lightly around her, and allow plenty of space. While I still greet her every time we meet, over the past three months I have accepted that kind words and warm smiles may be met with a scowl. Or simply ignored.
And on occasion I have wondered if the effort to show love to her will ever make a difference. Is she even capable of receiving affection? Or is her heart completely closed off?

Well, I stopped contemplating those questions this week.
Because...
I was walking through the living room at work and saw Ms. Not-very-friendly sitting on the couch. One of the care-givers bounced in and sat down next to her, declaring in a sing-songy voice, "Good morning, beautiful!" Honestly, I expected to see a scowl appear on her face. But instead, there was a lovely smile. And the care-giver leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.
Which caused the smile to grow.
If I hadn't been rushing to a meeting, I think that scene would have stopped me dead in my tracks. I could hardly believe what I was seeing. The woman who I have only known as cold was genuinely receiving kindness. Oh, what a beautiful sight!

Is there someone in your life whom you would describe as cold and prickly? Someone who doesn't seem able to accept TLC? Please accept this encouragement today, and don't give up trying. Don't stop showing you care. Just keep loving!
You never know when you might experience a break-through.

Karen

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

A good word...just a for me. I have a family relationship that I am praying will experience a breakthrough. thank you for the encouragement to keep on loving.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Praying for you, and that family member!