Friday, March 13, 2020

It's My Pleasure

What do you call it when you're at work and - for three straight hours - you don't get a chance to take an iota of a break to catch your breath, or grab a drink, or stretch your back, or anything but serve the individuals who keep coming to you for help?
Well, I don't know about you, but I'm calling it the best day ever!
Seriously, that is exactly what happened one week ago, today. Some of it had to do with a convention of sorts happening with the Future Farmers of America (who apparently really love Chick-fil-A), and the rest was a bunch of other people who wanted some yummy chicken for lunch. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that from approximately 11:00 until 2:00 we had a line of people that went out the door. (I don't even know how long the line was in the drive-thru.) And it wasn't in waves.
It was solid.
For three hours.
And it was so.much.fun!
There is just something about being in the middle of a big "thing" which draws people together. Everyone was surprised by the crowd (employees and patrons, alike) and it gave us something to talk about - a topic over which to make a connection. I often joked as I greeted the next guest, "Welcome to our zoo!" I got to inform the non-Future Farmers of America folks that there was something big happening at MSU with FFA. But more than anything, I was enjoying the camaraderie I saw blossoming around me.
From guests who wondered amongst themselves (but loud enough for me to hear at times) "Why are so many people here today?" - to co-workers who looked as though they were performing a choreographed dance as they poured drinks and delivered trays and met various other needs - to managers who swiftly solved problems and re-stocked supplies and jumped in to help out wherever they could - to the guest who said to me, "You all are doing a great job. Nobody is anxious, just calm. It's so nice to see that!" - I felt as though I was in the middle of the best day ever.

But today, I anticipate it will be different.
That is, the coronavirus has come to town. And while that may mean the drive-thru will be busier, I am not anticipating big crowds inside. Nevertheless, I am planning to have another best-day-ever.
Because I am trusting God has a connection or two for me to make - someone(s) who needs the kindness of Jesus given to them, maybe encouragement in the midst of the current scare. And regardless how many people are waiting in line I'm going to be there, ready and eager to serve.
Ahhhhh, I love my job!

Karen

No comments: