Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Peace in the Midst of It

Oh, how quickly things can change.

Monday I was at the grocery store getting, uh, groceries. I pulled my phone out of my purse while I was standing in the check-out lane and saw a message asking me to "call when you have a minute." Figuring I had at least a minute until it would be time for me to put my items on the belt, I made the call.
Which is when I learned that our governor had just issued a shelter-in-place order for Michigan.
Which meant we had a decision to make about our house guest.
That is, Brian and I are in the process of becoming foster parents and are presently hosting a boy who needs a new foster family. He's been transitioning on a few-days-at-a-time basis so he could get used to us, but the governor's order necessitated that this boy either go back - or stay - for the next 15 days.
Our hearts were blessed tremendously by his enthusiastic deisre to stay.
But that meant - within a matter of an hour - I went from "able-to-come-and-go-as-I-please" (albeit cautiously, finitely, and less often than I typically would) to "shelter-in-place."
With a young boy (who is adorable, but also very needy).
24/7.
For the next two weeks.
(Or more, as additional decisions and proclamations are made.)
And can I just say? The past 36 hours have been a perfect mix of moments-more-precious-than-I-could-have-hoped, and oh-boy-this-is-gonna-test-my-limits.

As I've thought about it, I imagine I am not the only one who is feeling this way. I trust that all of us who are facing by-the-minute changes are experiencing a wide array of thoughts and feelings. Some which delight, and others not so much. So in the midst of it, may I encourage you to cling to the promise found in Philippians 4:6-7?

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Because I am convinced: The only way I am going to survive the endless wave of changes, the constant flow of questions, the perpetual need for reassurance, the plethora of the-world-is-coming-to-an-end news stories, and the continual requests for help (not to mention trying to counsel and comfort feelings a little boy shouldn't have to experience) is by laying it all at HIS feet and trusting HIM to help.
I know that God is faithful. And when I trust in Him, I know His peace will guard me.
What a blessed assurance I have in HIM.
I pray the same for you, my friend.

Karen

No comments: